Mix Nail Polish Colors for a Custom Look

Are you almost out of your favorite color of nail polish and can't afford to buy more this week? Then just get 2 bottles of different colors you have already, and mix them together to make a new color. Don't add any polish remover to it though, it will ruin it. I do this when I get low on polish, and it works fine. Try it.

By Laurie from Oregon

I have done this with colors I didn't like alone such as one too dark and one too light. When they are mixed together they make a nice color.

Great idea! I collect nail polish and this is a common thing among us collectors, called Frakening. You're right on the nail polish remover. When mixing different brands sometimes they thicken up, use Nail Polish Thinner, a few drops at a time (Sally's Beauty has it for cheap). Also, a GREAT tip for mixing, use stainless steel BB's, 2 in a jar will work great for mixing the colors. You can get them cheap at WalMart, but you'll have them for years, try a hubby or someone who has a BB gun, they can spare a few!

That's a great idea! I seem to have about 5 bottles of almost the same exact color. Doesn't everybody?

A resounding amen to the idea. I have done it for years and while cast in an international TV commercial the wardrobe and makeup people asked what color polish I was using, they loved it and wanted to get some for their supplies..Had to tell them it was my own combo of "Wet 'n Wild" polish (cheapo). What fun!

May 8, 2009 Flag

I buy any odd colored nail polish I can find and mix them with half used bottles of other polish just to see what shades I can come up with. I've gotten some beautiful, one of a kind shades and always get compliments on them. Mostly, it's just fun.

By Katie from Orlando, FL

Mix Unusual Nail Polish Colors For A Custom Look

That's a good tip - thrifty too ! A lot of times you can get partially used nail polish at rummage sales for a small fraction of the store price. I haven't recently but have in the past !
THANKS (02/25/2008)

By melody_yesterday

I do this when I've bought a color that I don't really like, or when I have just a bit left in several bottles. It's a great way to lighten those colors that are too dark, darken the colors that are too light and change the ugly colors to ones that are more pleasing. (02/26/2008)

By susanmajp

Health & Beauty Beauty Nail TipsMay 8, 2009
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
Nail Polish Remover Stain on Leather
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Stains on Leather
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
Homemade Nail Polish
Homemade Nail Polish