Tips for Cooking Vegetables

If you are cooking pasta, rice, or any vegetable that grows above the ground-start cooking in hot water. This saves lots of money because you don't have to wait to heat the water, so it cooks quicker.

If you are cooking a vegetable that grows underground-sweet potatoes, carrots, onion, potatoes to name a few, start cooking in cold water.

By grammy v from Fredericktown, OH

You don't mean hot water from the tap do you? I have heard that is not a good idea. It can have sediment in it and a bad taste.

Lilac, I think she means to heat the water prior to adding the ingredients, not to use hot tap water.

November 16, 2010 Flag

This is a good rule of thumb to follow when cooking vegetables. If the vegetable is grown beneath the ground; such as potatoes, carrots, beets and other root type vegetables, then start it in cold water and cook it covered by a lid.

If the vegetable is grown above the ground; such as greens, including cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower, start them in boiling water and leave the lid off.

There are a few exceptions to this rule, such as baking potatoes, for instance, or oven-roasting root vegetables along with vegetables like squash, and bell peppers.

If the vegetables are being cooked or roasted alongside meats though, whatever way you are cooking or roasting, the meat takes precedence over the "just cooking vegetables" rule.

This was a wonderful guide for me when I was learning to cook.

By pookarina from Boca Raton, FL

Tips For Cooking Vegetable

This is the kind of thing Home Economics teachers should be teaching if Home Economics is even being taught in our schools anymore. Our two sons are in high school, and Shop isn't even being offered anymore. If their dad didn't know anything about tools, neither would they. Times are a'changin. Thanks pookarina. ww (04/15/2010)

By WiggleWorm

Tips For Cooking Vegetable

Excellent advice and I agree wholeheartedly with WiggleWorm and it's sad that times have changed as they have in school :-( Thanks for sharing the tips! (04/15/2010)

By Deeli

Tips For Cooking Vegetable

I agree all the way with Deeli and WiggleWorm. I wish they would bring back some of the classes I took when I was in school. Today, it seems as if all they're teaching our kids is how to push paper.

I still learn everything I can about cooking or making a garden or taking care of our pets, and we want our grandchildren to know the kinds of things that build and make a good home. My children would have missed a lot if my husband and I not been taught by our parents. They would never have learned it in school.

This newsletter is a great place to share, and I am so happy to have found it. These tips for cooking vegetables is such a good example. Lee (04/18/2010)

By Shadow030236

June 8, 2010 Flag

Tips and ideas for cooking vegetables. Post your ideas.

Cooking Vegetables

This is how I cooked most veggies. I have a pan that came with my cookware that has holes in the bottom of the pan. It is a Steamer Pan. I place this pan in top of another pan that it fits into perfectly. I use this method for fresh veggies like cauliflower, squash, broccoli and also for steaming frozen veggies as well. Since I have discovered this method of cooking them, I really like it. This is a much better way of cooking veggies. Not only can you drain them well, they are better than cooked in the microwave or directly in water.

If you do not have a steamer pan, look for them where cookware is sold. A great item for the kitchen.

Tips for Cooking Vegetables

I don't have a steamer pan, so I use my french fryer basket. It has a removable handle, so that I can fit it in my kettle, I saved 3 tomato sauce cans and set them in the bottom of the kettle, fill them with water and add water to cover about half the cans. Set the basket in and add your veggies. Cover and steam. It works like a charm.

By Harlean from Arkansas

Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesNovember 16, 2010
Veggie seeds.
Growing Vegetables from Seeds
Frozen Vegetables
Cooking Frozen Vegetables
Cooking With Coconut Oil
Cooking bacon in microwave.
Cooking Bacon in the Microwave