Painting Appliances

How can I change the color of my fridge?

By Joan from Annecy, France

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

There are paints especially suited for appliances. You can go to a home improvement store and talk to the clerks. I have seen white fridges painted black or stainless steel color. Good luck.

Just cover it in fridge magnets! ;-)

Clean it really well, using dish soap and steel wool. Rinse and dry. Put masking tape over hinges and handle so they don't get painted. Buy a can or 2 of spray enamel in the color of your choice and spray you refridgerator. I have done this and it works great! It is also cheap.

Bear in mind that any paint you put on will not wear as well as the original finish, unless you have it done in an automotive paint shop.

I like the advice and thank you all.

About spraying, what happens to all the 'stuff' surrounding the fridge. Mine is in the middle of the dining room, which is why I want to change the color.

Do I need to worry about the paint mist?

I could not take it outside. I am on the third floor.

Answer

***

Painting Appliances
***

I'm renovating my kitchen on a tight budget. I'm tired of the ugly old looking fridge that came with the house. I was going to go and buy all new appliances for my kitchen. Of course, I changed my mind. I'm glad I did.

I opted to spray paint my fridge. It looks amazing! People can't tell the difference. Which I love. FYI If you're able to spray paint outside please do. I had black paint all over my house. It took me 2.5 hrs to clean it all up. So, I got a new fridge for under $15. By the way, I used 2 cans of spray.

By fashionista_dc from Washington, DC

Answers:

Painting Appliances

Yes there's a special paint. You have to use "Epoxy paint"; (brand: Rust Oleum from Lowe's). (04/23/2009)

By fashionista_dc

Painting Appliances

I also painted my refrigerator out of necessity. My vinyl coated white fridge was showing rust spots. I spray painted it with the new Rustoleum product that is good for everything. I shielded the rest of the kitchen with polyethylene so there was not too much overspray. I did this in December and it still looks great. This saved the cost of buying a new fridge for a couple of years, I hope! (04/25/2009)

By Cyndi D.

Painting Appliances

Our daughter painted the fridge and dishwasher, using melamine paint. It looks really nice, saved cost of replacement. (04/25/2009)

By gollyg

Painting Appliances

I have also covered a frig with wall paper. Get a heavy weight that is pre-pasted, nothing flocked or real fancy as far as pattern matching. (05/01/2009)

By Jcerar

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can l use a roller to paint appliances? I need to paint a refrigerator and stove hood. I've had trouble in the past getting an even look with spray paint, so do not want to use that!

Thanks,
Gail from Florida

Answers:

Painting Appliances

A long time ago, I had an old pink fridge that I painted with a thick nap roller and enamel paint. I painted it off white, and it turned out really good. Much better than the ugly pink that's for sure. I don't remember what type of paint I used, just that it was enamel based and that I let it dry for a while. We also had a rusty upright freezer that we covered with contact paper to hide the rust. (12/13/2006)

By Jess

Painting Appliances

I have used Melamine paint and a sponge roller on both my frig and a stove hood. Both of them worked well. My frig is now on it's 12th year with white paint. I've also painted a floor and counter tops. On them I used at least two coats of urethane as a topcoat. For the counter I just used latex paint with two coats of topcoat and it is only a year old but still looks great. (12/20/2006)

By Connie from Canada

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
vintage range
Painting Appliances
Home and Garden Home Improvement Kitchen AppliancesAugust 18, 2010
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Stainless Steel Dishwasher
Converting Appliances to Stainless Steel
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
Home Appliances
Saving Money on Home Appliances
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 12:10:17 PM on 10.0.1.44 in 545 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.