Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Use Half A Benedryl to Avoid Side Effects

This was suggested to me by my son. We both have pollen and various topical allergies. It seems that Benadryl (or comparable store brand) is the only thing that works for either of us. Since he does a lot of driving in connection with his work, he bought the little pink Benadryl tablets and broke them in half. It works and it doesn't make him drowsy. I tried it since a full Benadryl makes me loopy for the whole day. It worked on my pollen allergies and I didn't get stoned! My husband said I should send it to you.

BTW my family and all my friends are getting really excited about ThriftyFun.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Judy = Oklahoma [57]05/16/2010

I can't take the capsules or pills at all without getting drowsy and loopy. In fact the capsules just flat knock me out. I learned years ago that with the kid's liquid, I can choose my dose. If I need to stay awake, but have runny, itchy nose and eyes, or hives then I can take 1/4-1/2 tsp of the liquid and knock the symptoms out or at least make them tolerable. I can take a full adult dose if I'm going to bed and don't need to stay awake or I can take anywhere in between.

By REE [1]05/13/2010

It's very possible its the red dye in the pill that makes you loopy. I can take the clear liquid with no problems but can't even take 1/2 a child's dose of the red.

Recently (I was not thinking) I put the new BP meds in med tray new company new colour pills (RED). I know I have a red dye issue why in the world I took them I have no idea.

RESULTS: ditzy, headaches, weird feeling in head too, rollercoaster ride and spinning feeling as well, swelling, my BP went out of control, hives etc etc it was awful.

My brain was so foggy I was blaming another completely new med. This went on for almost a week, before it went ding! This is an allergic reaction duh!

Pharmacists say the red dye is fat soluble so it sticks in your system for a while - can be up to a week.

I was lucky this time because the swelling was hands, fingers etc. I have had tongue swelling from red dye - I normally won't touch red M&Ms, red OTC pills or liquids, fruit punches etc.

So I am now taking my 12 hr chlortrimeton every day, the days I am late symptoms still are here. Can't wait till this clears my system.

Ria

By lesley [4]05/13/2010

And you halve the cost. Win win.

By Vicky [17]05/13/2010

My husband is allergic to insect bites and whenever he used the Benadryl tablets it would make him so tired too, but for many years now we get the Benadryl cream and when he gets a bite and swells up we use the cream on the bite and within a few hours it all disappears. The pills took a quite awhile to clear up.
Respectfully submitted.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.