Use Half A Benedryl to Avoid Side Effects

By Marty Dick 167 967

This was suggested to me by my son. We both have pollen and various topical allergies. It seems that Benadryl (or comparable store brand) is the only thing that works for either of us. Since he does a lot of driving in connection with his work, he bought the little pink Benadryl tablets and broke them in half. It works and it doesn't make him drowsy. I tried it since a full Benadryl makes me loopy for the whole day. It worked on my pollen allergies and I didn't get stoned! My husband said I should send it to you.

BTW my family and all my friends are getting really excited about ThriftyFun.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

Showing: Comments Sort

By Vicky 21 1 Flag

My husband is allergic to insect bites and whenever he used the Benadryl tablets it would make him so tired too, but for many years now we get the Benadryl cream and when he gets a bite and swells up we use the cream on the bite and within a few hours it all disappears. The pills took a quite awhile to clear up.

Respectfully submitted.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By lesley 4 79 Flag

And you halve the cost. Win win.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By REE 1 63 Flag

It's very possible its the red dye in the pill that makes you loopy. I can take the clear liquid with no problems but can't even take 1/2 a child's dose of the red.

Recently (I was not thinking) I put the new BP meds in med tray new company new colour pills (RED). I know I have a red dye issue why in the world I took them I have no idea.

RESULTS: ditzy, headaches, weird feeling in head too, rollercoaster ride and spinning feeling as well, swelling, my BP went out of control, hives etc etc it was awful.

My brain was so foggy I was blaming another completely new med. This went on for almost a week, before it went ding! This is an allergic reaction duh!

Pharmacists say the red dye is fat soluble so it sticks in your system for a while - can be up to a week.

I was lucky this time because the swelling was hands, fingers etc. I have had tongue swelling from red dye - I normally won't touch red M&Ms, red OTC pills or liquids, fruit punches etc.

So I am now taking my 12 hr chlortrimeton every day, the days I am late symptoms still are here. Can't wait till this clears my system.

Ria

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Judy = Oklahoma 60 750 Flag

I can't take the capsules or pills at all without getting drowsy and loopy. In fact the capsules just flat knock me out. I learned years ago that with the kid's liquid, I can choose my dose. If I need to stay awake, but have runny, itchy nose and eyes, or hives then I can take 1/4-1/2 tsp of the liquid and knock the symptoms out or at least make them tolerable. I can take a full adult dose if I'm going to bed and don't need to stay awake or I can take anywhere in between.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Health & Beauty AdviceMay 12, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
Black Walnut Tree
Planting Under Black Walnut Trees
Woman in a black dress holding shopping bags.
Clothing That Never Goes Out of Style
Premenopausal Perspiration
Remedies for Premenopausal Perspiration
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 4:27:29 PM on 10.0.1.40 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings