Browsing: Why is My Cat Scared of Me?

Why Is My Cat Acting Afraid and Hissing at Me?

Why does my cat all of a sudden hate me? Within the last month or two everytime I have come home from college she will not come near me. And when I try and pick her up she acts like she is scared to death and hisses at me. Why is this?

By Hayley from Overland Park, KS

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Most likely it's its way of showing you that it's not happy with you being gone so much.

Kas1014 Just what I was going to say. Hayley, The cat is probably NOT acting afraid, but wants to get away from you, because you go away from it. You might try bringing it a catnip treat when you get home and having it in your hand when you pet, pick up or try to cuddle your cat. It is going to take some time for the cat to believe you are coming back after each time you go away. There are many other variables, do you have younger siblings?, does the cat get enough attention & love from the rest of the family? are there other pets? how young was it when you got it, as in imprinting on you as mother? Think on these things and I am sure your answers will come. Maybe you need to leave a pair of dirty socks where it sleeps?

Maybe your cat is sick or injured in some way and it has nothing to do with you. If the cat acts this way towards others besides you, maybe you should take her to the vet.

I would say see your vet and have the cat checked out. Also the cat may miss you and is just showing how it feels. Who cares for the cat while you are gone? How is the cat around other people? You may bring many smells with you on your clothing which may scare the cat. Can you leave a sweat shirt, or sweater for the cat to sleep on? Nix the dirty sox, please. How old is this kitty? Good luck to you.

Scared Cat
Why is My Cat Scared of Me?
Pets CatsMarch 19, 2011
disgruntled teen
Dealing With a Teen Who Is Acting Out
scared dog
Dog is Afraid to Go Outside
A hungry orange cat licking his lips.
Cat is Always Hungry
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 19, 2016 at 4:20:32 AM on 10.0.1.162 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.