Why is My Cat Scared of Me?

There has to be a reason if your pet stops trusting you. This guide is about why is my cat scared of me?

I have had this cat around 1 year now. She has gotten pregnant 2 times, so she has, 4 kids. Suddenly she started hating me, whenever I want to touch her she runs away. And when I catch her, she starts hissing at me. I never did anything to make her hate me. She never comes to me and is always scared of me. But she is not acting this way with any other person, just me. Please tell me why, or what should I do to make her not hate me?

By Jessica from Estonia

Answers

She is teaching you to respect animals. I have had the same "lesson" in my experience with cats. We often think that we can touch and pick up cats and dogs and even children without "asking" them if they want that. Imagine being hauled up to a great height by a giant with your bodyweight hanging. It might hurt. Show your affection through your words and stop trying to touch her so that she can regain her trust. It might take time but then again that is your "test" for unconditional animal love.

Your cat may have something on its body that hurts when she is held. It could be an abcess from a cat fight, or an ear infection or a tooth infection. It would be a good idea to take her to a Veterinarian to be checked out. While you are there you can have her neutered (spayed) so she doesnt have any more kittens. She will be a much healthier cat when she isnt pregnant all the time. Sometimes cats get aggressive when they are protecting their kittens. When she is spayed, she will have more time and affection for you too.

Why does my cat all of a sudden hate me? Within the last month or two everytime I have come home from college she will not come near me. And when I try and pick her up she acts like she is scared to death and hisses at me. Why is this?

By Hayley from Overland Park, KS

Answers

Most likely it's its way of showing you that it's not happy with you being gone so much.

Kas1014 Just what I was going to say. Hayley, The cat is probably NOT acting afraid, but wants to get away from you, because you go away from it. You might try bringing it a catnip treat when you get home and having it in your hand when you pet, pick up or try to cuddle your cat. It is going to take some time for the cat to believe you are coming back after each time you go away. There are many other variables, do you have younger siblings?, does the cat get enough attention & love from the rest of the family? are there other pets? how young was it when you got it, as in imprinting on you as mother? Think on these things and I am sure your answers will come. Maybe you need to leave a pair of dirty socks where it sleeps?

Maybe your cat is sick or injured in some way and it has nothing to do with you. If the cat acts this way towards others besides you, maybe you should take her to the vet.

I would say see your vet and have the cat checked out. Also the cat may miss you and is just showing how it feels. Who cares for the cat while you are gone? How is the cat around other people? You may bring many smells with you on your clothing which may scare the cat. Can you leave a sweat shirt, or sweater for the cat to sleep on? Nix the dirty sox, please. How old is this kitty? Good luck to you.