Cat is Always Hungry

Category Cats
There are several reasons your cat may always be acting hungry, some requiring a trip to the vet. This is a guide about when a cat is always hungry.

My Queen had 5 kitties on March 20th 2019 and she acts like she is starving all the time. We feed her both wet and dry foods, but she wants something else if you give her just her dry food. She gets in the garbage, jumps up on the counter, the stove, and she even jumped up on the dresser the other day and got the fish out the bowl. Is this because she has worms or is it a more serious disease and now to top it off she is in heat.

Answers

Nursing mothers, human or animal, need more food. Feed her more

She's been through a lot, she probably does actually need the sustenance. Up her food for a little bit and I'm sure it will taper off.

Your cat needs extra nutrition now. She needs extra protein and extra calories. You can feed her kitten food which has extra calories and extra protein. I would make sure she has all she wants to eat. She needs the extra rations until the kittens are completely weaned. Should she get pregnant again she needs that extra nutrition while she is pregnant and again until the kittens are completely weaned.

I always feed a little cooked chicken to my cats because many cat foods are a little short on protein. You will need to get her to the Vet very soon if you dont want another batch of kittens. Your Vet can worm her while she is in for her spay. If you need help with the cost of a spay call your local humane society.

I have a male cat that is only 2 years. He is always hungry for food. He gets fed well, but when no one is looking, he steals food. He jumps all over the kitchen looking for food, breaks whatever is in the kitchen and knocks everything on the floor. I don't know what to do about this situation, he's driving me crazy. Please help.

By Doris from Philadelphia

Answers

You may want to check with your vet. It sounds like he could have a tape worm or something? Have a spray bottle of water, and spray him when he jumps on the counter. Also, I read somewhere that if you lay tin foil on the counters, they won't go up there. Another thought is that maybe he is eating out of boredom. Good luck, it sounds as though you need it!

Hello, Please take him to his veterinarian. As young as he is, there could be a medical problem that needs to be addressed.

Is he neutered? that may help. The other suggestion about boredom is a good possiblity, too, get him climbing poles and something.

I have a Redfox Lab. He's 3 years old. He's currently taking Trifexus for fleas. He has been taking it for over 2yrs and never had problems, but for the last 4 days he has been itching a lot and it is mainly on his sides. He will bite at his tail, his paws and feet as well and sometimes I find him licking paws/feet.

It seems like he's shedding a lot more than usual. I have not changed his diet or he hasn't eaten anything different from what I know. I still continuously groom him. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? By the way there are no fleas or type of irritation that I see on his skin.

Answers

please check with your vet. possible sign of an allergy.

It is common for dogs to develop allergies to foods they have eaten for years. I am not sure if this holds true for drugs like flea prevention. You will need to work with your Vet who will likely recommend an elimination diet. It took awhile but I did this with my dog and got rid of the allergies.

My cat has been on Fortekor 2.5 mg tabs and renal prescription food for the last month for slight kidney failure. Since he has been on this medication he is always hungry and has put on weight, although this can happen on this medication.

He gets the same amount of food as before starting the medication. I am going to ask my vet if he can come off medication and just take the renal food. I have heard Ipakitine powder helps cats with kidney failure. Has anyone experienced this problem and what have you done?

Before being diagnosed with kidney failure he was eating normally and never looking for more food. The only sign was he was drinking water more than normal. Now he drinks normally. He was never thin just about the normal weight.

By Maureen Gaul from UK

Answers

Hello,
I am a retired RVT. I worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. Can you please ask your Dr. to test for Diabetes and thyroid disease. Good luck.