Mexican White Sauce

Recently I went on quite a mission to find a recipe for the infamous white sauce served at many Mexican restaurants. This is not a gravy or a cream, or even a cheese sauce, but rather a side-by-side served with tortilla chips before the big meal.

• 1 quart Hellman's Mayonnaise
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
  • 4 ounces of grated bleu cheese (Treasure Cave Crumbled Gorgonzola is what you really want - it comes in a container with the perfect amount needed.)
  • 1/4 cup dill pickle relish (not sweet)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped salad olives with pimentos
  • 2/3 cup dry milk powder
  • 2 cups of water

Per the recipe: Combine and mix dry ingredients together with milk and mayonnaise, then add remaining ingredients. Chill and serve. Yield approximately 1 3/4 quarts of white sauce.

Per my thoughts: If you cannot find crumbled bleu cheese, buy the brick, then run it through a cheese grater. It is easier to place all the liquid or wet ingredients into a blender, then add the olives, relish and bleu cheese, pulsing the blender instead of allowing it to cream the mixture too much. Otherwise the olives will liquify and cause your sauce to be runny. But if that is your preference, well. . .

Serve chilled with thin restaurant style chips or chips of your choice. Or better yet, stop by an actual Mexican restaurant for a bag of their chips from the carry-out menu.

Whoops, somewhere in the editing, the last

few lines were messed up.

The line should read:

If anyone has questions about this recipe, I will be

more than happy to help.

Karen Marie

Editor's Note: Thanks for catching that, Karen. I fixed it in the recipe.

None of the mexican restaurants I have ever been to in Arizona, New Mexico nor Texas have ever served this kind of sauce with dill.

Can you find out from which state in Mexico this sauce originates?

I am with Cookwie; I have not seen this

served in an authentic Mexican Restaraunt

then I noticed the post was from Oklahoma.

I am Mexican and this is not something I have

ever heard of or seen in California or BajaCalifornia

I don't know if anyone is aware of this but Hellman's mayonnaise is no longer a quart but 30 ounces. I contacted the company and this is the response I received.

Recently, inflationary pressures have brought about by the increased costs of raw materials. Rather than raise our prices, we chose to slightly reduce the size of the 32 oz quart and 16 oz pint. This is the first time in over three years that we have had to increase costs to our consumers.

This has been happening to a number of products in the stores. I have started checking out the sizes on different products that I use. You would be surprised how the companies are reducing the size but keeping the same price on their products to as they put it -- "help" the consumer.

I have to agree w/ cookwie & meoowmom. I am from Oklahoma & I've never seen this type of dip in any of the Mexican restaurants I have ever been in either here or in any of the surrounding states. I've been in all types both upper & lower class & everything in between--I'm restaurant people & enjoy seeing what the other fella has on his menu. I also know quite a few Hispanics from all different regions of Mexico & have eaten at their homes & in their restaurants. When I called a few, no one seemed to know. When I've inquired about the various cheese sauces in the restaurants, the greater part of them are made with Queso Blanco--which means 'white cheese'. Some have hot pepper, onion, & various seasonings, some are plain, & some are mixed with other cheeses. Most are thinned with cream, milk, goats milk, or canned milk. This recipe sounds interesting though, & I plan to try it soon.

I've never heard of anything like this and I love Mexican food. I'm outside of Portland, OR in Hillsboro, and although that doesn't sound like it would have a lot of authentic Mexican food, there is a large Mexican population here. There is a large section of downtown that signs only in Spanish and you regularly hear Spanish spoken all around the area.

I'd love to know more about where this recipe came from. From the ingredients, it almost sounds Spanish.

I live in Virginia Beach and EVERY Mexican restaurant in this area serves this white sauce complimentary with chips and regular salsa.

I live in Elizabeth City, NC we have 3 Mexican restaurants and two of them serve this sauce. Not far from VA Beach

I just visted relatives in Blacksburg, VA and went to a little "hole in the wall" Mexican Restaurant. WOW! The Mexican White Sauce is to die for! This was sweet, but after you'd taste it on the chip, it burned all the way down. I loved it! I love Mexican food and lived in Houston for 20 years, but never have I had such a wonderful taste experience! Are you sure it's just bleu cheese? There has to be jalapenos or tabasco? No?

Mexican White Dip Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes International Mexican DipsAugust 1, 2007
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Chopsticks Picking up Piece of Teriyaki Chicken
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipes
Homemade pizaa sauce.
Pizza Sauce Recipes
Substitute White Sauce in Stuffed Tomatoes
Substitutes For White Sauce