Substitutes For White Sauce

Category Cooking Tips
Substitute White Sauce in Stuffed Tomatoes
Finding something to use when you can't make a white sauce can be a challenge. This guide is about substitutes for white sauce.

Several recipes call for a white sauce, which is flour added to melted butter, then thickened with milk. I'm trying to cut down of our fat grams, so this is a way to cut out some butter and still have a great tasting white sauce.

Instead of adding the flour to the melted butter, start by heating up the milk in a pan with just a tiny slice of butter. In a small container, shake up flour with a little cold milk or cold water. When smooth, gradually stir into the hot, simmering milk. Stir until sauce is the consistency you desire. Add salt and pepper to taste.

There, now you have a delicious white sauce without all those fat grams!

Instead of using canned soup in casserole recipes, I use frozen white sauce cubes I make from a book called "Make Your Own Groceries" by Daphne Metaxas Hartwig.

By Roz from Victoria BC

Editors Note: Use your favorite white sauce recipe or try this: Put equal parts flour and butter, say 2 Tbsp., in a pan over medium low heat. Mix them together as the butter melts and let brown slightly, then add milk and stir. As it thickens, add more milk to your desired consistency.

The white sauce that is used in au gratin potatoes, homemade macaroni and cheese, and casseroles cooked by "foodies" can be remedied by one ingredient:
Cottage cheese!

Just like adding Parmesan cheese to thicken spaghetti sauce, you are adding cheese. It is light in flavor, so it will not overpower your sauce. And it doesn't get as stringy like Parmesan can. It stirs in quite easily. Add to whatever thickness you would like.

I have made easy Hamburger Helper dishes using the cottage cheese. They are thick and delicious. And even my friends and family that don't like cottage cheese; I am sneaky and don't even let them know. They like it!

Of course, please don't give this idea to your lactose intolerant friends.

By Tim from Science Hill, KY

My talent for making a tasty white sauce is bad, no talent. Hollandaise sauce to the rescue! It is perfect over potatoes, asparagus, chicken fingers, salmon, etc.

By Linda

I remember having a recipe once for a no fat white sauce. Does anyone have that recipe? It was great because you could use it with vegetables or fish, etc. Thank you in advance!

Pat from Ajax

Answer Was this helpful? 1

1 cup milk

1 heaping tblsp flour.

salt and pepper to taste

Blend with a blender or wire whip

Cook on med heat stirring until it starts to boil and thickens . Add anything to it you want depending on what you are making. Add cheese for Cheese sauce or chip beef for chip beef toast for breakfast or a holidaise sauce. I use this all the time. We are on a low fat diet and didn't want to give up some of our comfort food.

Well, I make my own "No Fat white sauce".... in my recipe (which I use for soups etc) I just use non fat milk... (Caned works best, because it's concentrated, but fresh or powdered milk is also okay)...

---> To the COLD nonfat milk, simply add about 1 Tablespoon of flour per cup... stir this WELL (or better yet, put a bit of milk in a jar with the flour & shake well) add Salt & pepper to taste & heat on the stove, stirring the whole time till mixture comes to a full boil.

*** You can substitute rice starch, but don't use cornstarch or tapioca powder or it will turn "slimy" looking & not be creamy... For a thicker constancy, you can add 1 8 oz container either non-fat sour cream or non-fat yogurt... Sometimes I'll add a small amount of extra powdered milk powder for the extra calcium while the milk is still is cold, but be careful, if you use to much milk powder, the white sauce will become "sweet" because of the extra milk sugar...

*** If you want, you can microwave it instead of using the stove... just be sure to stop the microwave & stir the mixture every few minutes...& make sure it comes to a FULL boil!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I can't give you a better recipe, but I just sort of "fake it" as I go... The recipe above makes a great corn chowder, clam chowder, potato soup & mushroom soup. With NO fat!

Basic White Sauce (Fat Free)

3 pre-frozen cubes of reduced stock or 3 T vegetable stock

4 T unbleached flour

1 slice onion or 1 t chopped shallots

2 cups nonfat milk

1/3 cup dry nonfat milk

1 bay leaf

1/2 t thyme, crushed

1/2 t white pepper

1 t vegetable seasoning

2 T dry sherry, sauterne, or vermouth (optional)

Heat stock in nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and

onion; blend with a wooden spoon or whisk.

Simmer over low heat for several minutes, stirring constantly. Do not

allow to brown.

Remove from heat, add milks, bay leaf, thyme, white pepper, and

vegetable seasoning. Return to heat, stirring constantly until

mixture coats the spoon. If desired, add wine and simmer 5 minutes

more to evaporate alcohol. [ahem .... this won't really get rid of all

the alcohol -mrd]

Remove onion and bay leaf.

Cover and store until used, or place in an airtight container and

refrigerate for several days, or freeze for future use.

Serving Suggestions: This sauce be used over 8 cups of steamed

vegetables such as broccoli florets, diced potatoes, quartered

musrhooms, peas, asparagus, or sliced carrots. To serve, place

vegetables in a shallow ovenproof serving dish. Drizzel sauce over

vegetables, sprinkle with 2 T Sap Sago cheese or with Hungarian

paprika and place under broiler to brown lightly before serving.

Making a no fat white sauce is easy in the microwave. Depending on the thickness of the white sauce, whisk flour (thin sauce is 1 tablespoon, medium is 2 tablespoons, and thick is 3 tablespoons) into one cup of cold milk. Put it into a microsafe bowl, or I just whisk it together in a glass measuring cup so that I can put it directly into the microwave (without the whisk, of course). Cook on high for 1-3 minutes, stirring with the whisk every 30 seconds, until it is thickened and bubbly. Make sure to stir often, or you will get lumps. However, all is not lost if that happens. You can just put it in the blender, and get rid of the lumps that way. My mother is alergic to milk, so she uses water for her white sauce, and it works fine, although the taste is more bland. You can add a little salt too, and pepper (white pepper doesn't color the white sauce), to taste.

I use :

for every cup of COCONUT MILK used, I heat it on med. high in a non-stick skillet, then watch carefully and add a MIXTURE of 1 tblsp. flour (could use most any kind of flour) dissolved VERY WELL in a little water, and reduce heat to med., stirring all the time, watching the thickness then quickly removing from all heat when desired thickness is complete, even pouring into small ceramic gravy PITCHER when ready. It can be heated in microwave on 1 min. if not ready to pour on food. The Coconut milk

gives a sweet alternative and is dairy free, which we have to use and now prefer.

Paying attention to what spices you like on what food makes the dish, in my opinion.

For me, the success is in the purposeful seasonings according to what it's going onto.

If on MEATS, and if I can afford it, I love:

Sea Kelp Salt Substitute

Monterray pepper plus a

shake of nutmeg and a sprinkle of McCormick's Bacon bits(soy)

If for VEGGIES

Sea Kelp Salt substitute

Monterray Pepper

Bouquet Garni or Herbs D'Provence

Basil

Garlic Powder

(I don't care for any white sauce PLAIN, yet can't use

plain salt. I have used Almond MIlk on sweet veggies to "cream them".)

If being used on grilled/baked FISH,

Season with Dill Weed

Celery Salt

Bouquet Garni

Lemon adn white pepper/ paprika

Good luck and God bless. : )