Cooking From ScratchFood Tips

Make Your Own Pasta Sauce

Never buy prepared pasta sauce! They are expensive, very loaded with unhealthy items, and very bland. You always have to add extras to make it taste like "your own". So why pay $3-5 for a jar of tomato product? You can buy tomato paste/sauce/dices etc for less than $1 and throw in mushrooms and spices, all for around $2-3 total without all the additives. If you want alfredo, why pay the same $3-5 for gross tasting "alfredo"? You can buy a bag of shredded Italian cheese (mix cheese or fresh parmesan or asiago) and melt it in a pint of heavy cream. Again, it will run about $3 but VERY tasty.

I hate jarred pasta sauce!

By Becca from NY

I do buy ready made pasta sauce in the jar, but I get them on sale with coupons. I never pay more than $1 a jar. I think they taste good and I like the convenience. Not all contain corn syrup. I've tried making my own sauce with canned crushed tomatoes or similar items and I never was satisfied with the result. You may hate jarred sauce, but not everyone does.

When you are done making your sauce, freeze any extras in an ice cube tray. I bought a couple of sets just for extras from the dollar store. I freeze soup, gravy...anything. Then put it in a zip lock bag and freeze, when you want it just take the 'cubes' out of the freezer. Works great with opened jars you can't finish.

Amen, Sistah!

I beg to differ with you. I buy Ragu jarred spaghetti sauce and it's very good, all natural. I wait for someone to run it on special and then stock up. Just last week I got it for .99 for a 26 oz jar. There was no limit so I bought 6. It comes in many good flavors and my whole family loves it. You can't even buy a large size can of tomatoes for .99!

Yes, you may hate jarred sauce but I for one really like it and it puts a good meal on the table fast and for little money.

Rao's sauce is delicious, I cannot duplicate it at home. But when I have the time I make my own and it is almost as good.

Jennifer

Northern Virginia