Removing Pickled Onion Smell From Canning Jars

I'm making some jam and marmalade at the moment and have had some people save their old jars for me, but some of them have had pickled onions in them and i just can't get rid of the smell! Does anyone have any tips for me? I will be very grateful.

Thanks,
Mandy

Best Answer

Try scrubbing them out with a paste of baking soda.

Best Answer

Fill with 1/4 white vinegar and 3/4 cold water. Let soak for a few hours or overnight if possible. This works for odors in plastic containers-maybe it will work for glass too! Good Luck!

Bake them at 250 F for a couple of hours and let them cool in the oven. That should do the trick.

Cold the smell be in/on the lid? Most of them have a coating of some sort and I think that can absorb the smell. When I'm dealing with just the glass jars I've never found any smells will linger after a good washing and leaving them open (without lids).

Put a lighted matchstick in the container and leave it for sometime. Wash thoroughly and leave it in the sunlight for sometime

Removing Odors from Glass Jars
Removing Odors from Glass Jars
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesJanuary 28, 2005
Baking in Canning Jars
Baking in Canning Jars
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 12:54:57 PM on 10.0.1.55 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.