Is it a Rat or a Squirrel - What do I do? - Categories:

RatsPest Control

Is it a Rat or a Squirrel - What do I do?

I work at least 70 hours a week and winter is here and something has decided that since I am never home it will move in and has taken over.

It has eaten the cord on my clothes dryer, all the tubing to my dish washer and garbage disposal, it has been in the closets eating holes in my clothes, wood picture frames in the closets, plastic bags & aluminum foil in the kitchen drawers insulation from the walls in the kitchen.

I have put bait blocks behind everything, sticky traps and mothballs all over, and I still can't seem to find it or get rid of it. It did get stuck to 1 sticky trap, I heard a commotion in the kitchen and by the time I ran to the kitchen he had freed himself and was gone. No sooner than I lay down at night to go to sleep I hear him in a different part of the house and off I go with my flash light,to play hide and go seek, I am tired of this game will someone PLEASE help me?

Rita

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Is it possible that you could have a wharf rat? I think you might need the exterminators to come in for this one. Locally we have terminix and they don't charge a whole lot to come out for a one time visit. And they will do a quick look for you and tell you what your problem is for free sometimes. GOOD LUCK!

Hi Rita,

I feel so sad for you. No matter what you have, set out a live trap and bait it with peanut butter. You won't have to wait long!

Rita,

Rather than hire an exterminator, call them & explain your situation. Hopefully they can offer you some options. You can also call your health department in your town or city & speak to the health inspector. They have oodles of information that may help you & the best part is there is no charge...it's complimentary.

Good luck.

I have been in your shoes, but thank heavens, not quite as bad. I truly sympathize! I had luck with rat sized glue traps, with just a dab of peanut butter (1/4 " max) in the very middle, where they can't get to it without touching the glue. I use them for rats and mice. You may want to connect two of the panels with heavy duty packing tape to get a bigger surface, but to tell you frankly, if that's the size critter you have, dealing with him alive and stuck to the trap sounds horrible, and you really should consider an exterminator. It's very possible that he's not as big as he sounds. One of my problems sounded like Ratzilla, but turned out to be a very active mouse. You can drop a "filled" trap into water to drown the result and then dispose of it. Very best of luck!

I agree with the live trap so you can release it. It's not trying to do anything wrong. Drowning is just cruel. I've used a live trap many times over the yrs. with mice in my garage & it works well.

Hi, we had a problem last year with a desert mouse. But he wasn't your average house mouse. He was about the size of a gerbil or so. The only way we got him, was by lining up both spring loaded and glue traps down the hallway, in 3 different rows, end to end. You just had to be very careful when going down the hallway, yourself, but this is how we got him. He had been terrorizing our home for weeks. Up until this point he'd been just going around our traps or jumping over them, but when we decided to put them in rows, end to end. This is when he met his demise. When he tried to jump them, he'd almost made it successfully, but his tail got caught in one of the spring loaded traps and slung him backwards & he landed into another spring loaded trap. Since, my hubby has put out mouse poison outside and around our home. Last summer, we'd found a dead one laying in our back yard. We're still finding things the little creature did while running wild at night!! Best of luck on getting yours!

I used Terminex last year for a rat problem that has come back. All they did was put down spring loaded traps and glue traps and they cost me about $118 for doing what I had already done. From what I've read, once they use your space for home and a toilet, the sent left acts as a welcome sign for future invadors. I'm spending the money on a pro that specializes in vermine.

www.wildlife-patrol.com

You've probably solved this by now, but you can call us if you're in the central florida area.

www.xtermpest.com/orlando_pest_control.html

Home and Garden Pest Control RatsJanuary 13, 2005
Pack rat collection
Organizing Tips for a Pack Rat
A squirrel eating a pumpkin in a vegetable garden.
Keeping Squirrels Out of a Vegetable Garden
Squirrel Feeder
Making a Squirrel Feeder
tiny grey squirrel
Caring for an Orphaned Baby Squirrel
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 4:22:08 AM on 10.0.1.242 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.