Removing Scuff Marks on Walls

Category Walls
Care must be taken when removing scuff marks from painted and unpainted walls to prevent damage to the finish. This is a guide about removing scuff marks on walls.

Try using a pencil eraser to remove black smudges from white walls.

Any ideas on how to remove scuff marks (from furniture not shoes) off a painted wall? I tried the Mr Clean Magic Eraser, it worked a little, but took paint off the wall.

By Scuffmarked for Life? from Orange County, CA

Best Answer

Do not use Magic Eraser on matte walls; it is just too strong. It will strip the paint and leave you with dark marks that don't match your paint. I have not figured out a better solution than a mild cleaner and two buckets: fill 1 bucket with your cleaner and water and fill the 2nd with just clear water for rinsing. Grab 2 of those cellouse sponges and don't forget your elbow grease-you'll need it! I also find its good to go from bottom to top to catch all the drips- if not you 'll have streaky walls.

Best Answer

Try using toothpaste and a sponge. It did wonder. All you have to do is apply the toothpaste on the mark and scrub!

Best Answer

Hello,

Please try a pencil eraser.

Best Answer

When every other solution did not work, on my white wood doors, jams, and moldings, I used a very small amount of Bar Keepers Friend (Bon ami cleanser is also very gentle) on a damp cloth and rinsed well. It worked for me!

In my apartment that I am renting, there are black skid/scuff marks on the walls from previous tenants. I want to remove these marks.

I know it's not dirt because it won't come off with just plain water. How did the scuff marks get there in the first place? I would guess that when people were moving in and out, something must have 'scratched' against it to make it black? Or did someone throw a shoe and leave a mark like that?

What do you suggest for me to remove these hideous black marks off my wall?

Thanks.

Any feedback is appreciated :)

-Matthew

I had to share the best kept secret about getting scuff marks off the walls. It's simple, easy and works like magic. Get yourself a tube of "white" toothpaste, preferably one with baking soda and peroxide, Arm and Hammer. Use a wash cloth and they disappear in minutes. Of course this may only work on white walls.good luck.

Anonymous

Worked like a charm for me for both scuff marks and furniture paint marks.

I came across this looking for help with scuffs and I found; Magic Eraser doesn't work, toothpaste doesn't work, toothpaste + baking soda doesn't work. I probably would've tried Dirtex first but didn't have any on hand. Good old-fashioned TSP works just fine. Didn't strip the paint & left the wall beautifully clean.

Thanks for the ball trick I will try it out! I haven't been able to find anything to take scuff marks off of MDF board, that we have on the walls of our gym.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Try a Magic Eraser

Some of the doors and walls in my home have black scuff marks on them. I have tried everything I can think of to get it off. Please help.

Susan from Arizona

If you get "goo gone" or "goo be gone", that works well with a bit of scrubbing.

I used rubbing alcohol on walls/doors and it worked beautifully! It DOES, however, remove some of the paint! So use caution and don't rub too aggressively. I was amazed at how easily black tennis shoe scuff marks came off. I also used on various marks of unknown origin (probably from furniture hitting the walls), and I didn't find anything rubbing alcohol wouldn't remove. I have tried a number of cleaners, none of which worked at all. Again, use caution as it will remove some paint in the process. I would suggest only using on light colored walls/doors.

Thanks for the hint about the rubbing alcohol. I had some scuff marks on the wall from luggage wheels. It did take away some of the off-white paint, but it is better than black scuff marks.

STOP! DON"T TRY IT! After reading about success with rubbing alcohol posted here, I tried removing black scuff marks from a RED painted wall with rubbing alcohol with disastrous results. It removed enough paint that it is very noticeable. This is a high-quality washable paint. My advice is don't try this - just repaint. It's less work and ultimately you are going to have to do it anyway.

Just tried the toothpaste suggestion, and it works!

Using toothpaste to remove scuff marks worked really well. Thanks a lot for the tip!

Tried the toothpaste and it did not work on my tan, textured walls. Also tried Magic Eraser to no avail as well. Finally got my scuffs off with a little rubbing alcohol.

Be aware that it does take off paint! What I did was add just a dab on a white cloth and dab it onto the scuff and then wipe with a clean part of the towel. Scuff came right up!

Magic Eraser removed scuff marks from painted woodwork, after I read the directions and wet it first!

I'm looking for a tried and tested method of washing walls to remove scuff marks as part of a spring clean! I live in a rented flat so just repainting the walls isn't an option. I don't want to wash the existing matte paint off by scrubbing too hard! Thanks :o)

By Amanda

Have you tried a standard eraser? A nice, soft, white eraser from the office supply or art store store might do the job. It's worth a try, as that matte paint washes off easily. I washed off so much of the paint trying to get off my daughter's artwork it isn't even funny. Good luck!

Anonymous

I was also going to suggest using an eraser.

Try using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I regularly use them to get scuff marks, handprints, even ink off walls and other painted surfaces. I generally rinse the area with a damp rag after using the magic eraser as it sometimes leaves some residue.

Everyone here is right. Magic eraser, I use them on walls and many things. Even my son had a long streak of paint from another vehicle on his white car and it took it right off. They are awesome.

I love Mr.Clean Erasers also. I however have a thrifty, low cost scrub I make that works wonders. Take 1/2 tooth paste with 1/2 baking soda making at light,nonabrasive scrub (cleanser). I use it on walls, base boards, even tennis shoes. It always works and does not remove the paint. You can make a container of this and with a lid, keeps nicely.

Any tooth paste will work so the cheaper the better. No need for the whitening kind unless its the cheapest. I was told this by my grandma and have used it for years.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone, think I will give the toothpaste one a try first as I have those bits to hand, if not then I'll be hunting down some of these magic erasers!