Packing Food for Road Trips

Road trip eating doesn't have to be expensive if you enjoy the great outdoors. We always pack a cooler with canned soft drinks (very economical when bought in 12 or 24 can packs) and take along sandwiches and snacks when we start out from home.

On subsequent days it is easy to pick up snacks, bread, and sandwich makings at local stores. This is especially good if you have children. Everyone gets to have some exercise time out of the car instead of being confined to a chair in a restaurant. We have found some beautiful sites to stop and eat and saved a lot of money because you can feed several people on what it would cost to feed one person in a restaurant.

Now that it's just my husband and I, we find we still enjoy this tradition.

By Bebe52 from Road Trip Picnic

We went to St.Louis Zoo a couple hours away. Packed cooler with store brand soda cans and water bottles saved a ton. Each bottle of water cost at store 14cents each on sale same size bottle at zoo was $2.50 and ours were frozen first. People came up and told us "what a good idea, wish we had done that" My boyfriend carried sodas and water in backpack and I had sandwiches in mine in lunch sack cooler and chips too and fruit slices. It was really great. Child carried own fruity snacks and cheese bits. No one felt deprived or over burdened .

When we were younger,when we went on day shopping trips my mom would pack weinies and bread and for our "special" treat would get us a cream pie at the grocery store that we would all share. That has been 40 years ago.Today,I keep a cooler in my car to keep drinks and treats in for me and my grandkids. I keep a milk jug with frozen water in the freezer just for trips.

So sensible, wise and thrifty, teaches the children too. Each can choose their favorite sandwich fillings this way and you can choose a lovely place to stop in and enjoy the scenery, makes sense every way you look at it.

We used to pack the food in a ruck sack for easier carrying if going a little off the beaten track and didn't need cool boxes as it never seemed that warm! (UK). As the children grew they each had their own backpack.

I'm going to do a 2 weeks vacations camping and traveling around Portugal (my home country) and these tips are wonderful!

Thank you so much for sharing.

We do this too. I make a mess of sandwiches, each in a zipper bag and I write on the outside in code: TSM for turkey, swiss, mustard, HCM for ham, colby, mayo. Everybody gets what they want without having to open it to figure out what's between the bread. I use 2 liter bottles of frozen water to keep everything cold and not wet.

I totally agree! Food always tastes better in the outdoors! We always carry peanut butter and crackers. I even have packed up a box with a small electric fry pan, toaster, and coffee maker so when in a motel we don't have to rush and get dressed to go out for breakfast. It is time we all got back to basics and packed our own picnics!