Making Instant Potatoes Without Milk

How do you make instant potatoes without milk? Can you use evaporated milk?

Best AnswersAnswer this Question

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By K (Guest Post) 12/25/2007

Yes, you can make them with evaporated milk. Just reconstitute it with an equal part of water and stir (ex: 1/2 cup evaporated milk + 1/2 cup water = 1 cup "milk").

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By NanaMimi (Guest Post) 06/24/2008

I have a sister who has never been able to drink milk or eat anything made with it. So we all had to learn to cook without it. When I make instant potatoes and I know she is going to eat, I add the same amount of water that was needed for the milk, then I add anywhere from a half a stick to a whole stick of margarine. She can only have the type made with corn oil. I season it with salt, pepper and garlic.

It tastes just as good as instant potatoes can, you'd never know there wasn't any milk. We also use to make biscuits with water too until I learned how to make it with mayo/salad dressing (the white stuff). I still add water just not as much and the flavor is out of this world. I don't have a recipe, it's one of those things you do by touch. I hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By deb 1 2 09/15/2008

Use sour cream. It tastes great! Closer to taste of real homemade potatoes.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By joan pecsek 88 545 12/25/2007

You can use evaporated milk but it will give a slightly sweet taste. You can use chicken broth in place of milk, very tasty and much less fat and calories.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Ariela 33 265 12/25/2007

Just use water where it calls for milk. Adding the margarine will help the flavor. If it's too thick, add hot water while stirring. Eating with gravy helps too. My kids prefer without gravy. In this case, top with margarine on the plates. You gotta do what you gotta do. Instant potatoes is one of the few things I use salt in. But they just taste better with it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By (Guest Post) 12/25/2007

I used to do food demos at Sams Club. We used to make the instant potatoes they sell there using only water; no milk. Sometimes we would put in a little ranch dressing for a different taste. Oh, so good. Even without the milk or ranch dressing they are still good.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By sherry (Guest Post) 12/26/2007

I use chicken broth. It works real well and tastes great.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Cindy 12/26/2007

Sometimes when I make instant potatoes, I use powdered milk. Just use half milk and half water. Also we like sour cream, it can be used with or without milk.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By no name today (Guest Post) 12/26/2007

Instant potatoes can be made with just water. Flavoring can be added to them when cooking. Each of these can be added singly or together; instant onions (my favorite), garlic, parsley, chives, or bullion. On the side or on top; butter, gravy, sour cream, parsley, or cheese. Instant potatoes taste terrible without salt.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No