Roasted Red Bell Peppers

Wash and dry red bell peppers. Deseed and cut the peppers. An easy way to deseed and cut up a pepper is by cutting it in half by starting the cut at the stem and down. Remove the stem parts off by tearing with your clean hands. Remove seeds and membrane the same way. I line my sink with newspaper to collect the cuttings and wrap it up when done and toss in trash.

Cut the peppers into wide strips/pieces. Place on a foil-lined cookie sheet, skin facing up. If the peppers don't lay flat, gently press down to flatten.

Broil with the oven door open until the skin is blackened. Remove and carefully place in a plastic bag and tightly close. Place on a plate for about 15 minutes. The steam in the bag will allow the skin to separate.

Carefully remove pieces one at a time from the bag and peel off the skin. Leave other pieces in the bag until ready to peel. When all the peppers have been peeled, I add olive oil. You can also add garlic and other spices if you wish. Refrigerate or freeze. Use any leftover olive oil from the peppers for cooking, it has an excellent flavor.

These taste so much better than the store bought roasted red peppers and at a better price. I buy a large amount red bell peppers at a reasonable price, roast them and then freeze for future use. I freeze them as flat as I can in a freezer bag. The thinner the bag, the better. Whenever you need some of the peppers, break off a piece.

By mkymlp from NE PA / USA

I totally agree with this one. These peppers are wonderful on hamburgers, in salads, whatever your heart desires if you love peppers and you can grow these or find them on sale. Another way to do this in the summer is to put them in the fish flipping appliances for BBQs. This keeps the peppers flat and the flavor is great all summer long on the BBQ.