Freezing Bell Peppers

Selecting High-Quality Bell & Sweet Peppers:

Select crisp, thick-fleshed peppers that are free from blemishes and have a bright color. Pick home grown peppers when they have fully matured.

Preparing for Freezing:

Wash peppers and remove the stems and seeds. Cut into halves, 1/2 inch strips or rings or mince them depending on later use.

Blanching Time:

For a crisper texture, peppers that will be used in uncooked foods can be frozen without being blanched beforehand. For peppers that will be heated, water-blanch halves for 3 minutes and strips or rings 2 minutes.

Best Freezing Method(s):

Boilable Bags:

Place desired amounts into boiling bags, add desired seasoning, press out air and seal. Blanch bags of pepper halves for 3 minutes and strips or rings for 2 minutes. Cool bags in ice water, pat dry and freeze. Peppers can also be frozen in boilable bags without blanching. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

Tray Packs:

Clean and prepare peppers but do not blanch them. Lay whole or half peppers in a single layer on cookie sheets and place them in the freezer. When fully frozen (12 to 24 hours), portion them into suitable containers and freeze. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

Dry Packs:

Blanched or unblanched peppers can be transferred directly into suitable containers for freezing. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

Suitable Packaging:

Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should provide protection against absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Freeze peppers in rigid containers made from plastic or glass, or in freezer-grade plastic bags or heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Maximum Storage Time:

10 to 12 months at 0ºF.

Thawing:

Sliced or diced sweet and bell peppers lose their crispness when frozen, however they can still be used for cooking. Add them to dishes directly from the freezer without thawing.

Tips & Shortcuts:

Raw peppers (unblanched) can be packaged and frozen without leaving any headspace. Tray packs using whole or half peppers are quick and easy and allow you to stuff, slice, dice or ground peppers as you need them.

Refrigerating Bell or Sweet Peppers:

Do not wash peppers until you use them. Wrap them in paper towels for storage in the refrigerator-do not put them in perforated plastic bags. Peppers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Read More or Comment...

Where I live, bell peppers can be rather expensive. I buy them only when they are on sale. I wash them, chop them, then spread them on a cookie sheet. I let a little fan blow on them for about half an hour. This reduces the surface moisture a bit, thereby reducing the formation of ice crystals when I freeze them. I still get enough ice crystals to cause the peppers to stick together.

I found that if after doing the above, I place a coffee filter in the freezer bag and squeeze all air out before sealing, the peppers will have very little ice crystals on them, and all the little pieces will remain separate and even pourable.

Directions:

I do not know how to dry bell peppers, but I will tell you what I do. If I purchased more than I need at the time I just cut them up (red, yellow, and green), cut up an onion, and fry them with a little olive oil. Then I put them in freezer bag and freeze them. When I make an omelet I use them I also use them when I make chopped eggs.

By Macie4 from Walnut Creek, CA

I slice peppers in half, remove the seeds and then freeze peppers on a cookie sheet. After they are frozen, I place in a freezer bag. Using a straw, I suck all the air out of the bag. I've found if I do this, the peppers will not get any freezer burn and keep up to a year in the freezer.

After each time opening the bag, make sure to remove as much air as possible. I also save the seeds, let them dry then grind them and use the powder in recipes to add a little pepper taste and fiber.

By Mary from Demorest, GA

Can you freeze or can bell peppers?

By Joi from Knoxville, TN

Answers

I freeze bell peppers, I take the seeds out, and dice them and put about 1/2 cup in a baggie and then put them all in another container and pop them in the freezer, then use them in cooking.

Yes, you can freze bellpeppers and onions too. I used to do it all the time. What I did was chop them however I was going to use them. Threw them in a snack sized baggie then threw them in the freeezer. I put them in a Gallon sized baggie jsut to keep them contained. When I wanted them I just pulled out a small baggie and dumped them in say a meatloaf or soup or whatever.

Think I will start doing this again when they go on sale soon. HTH, Dahart

Both bell peppers and onions freeze well to be used in cooked foods. They will not be good for eating raw, as in salads. I like to chop them up, freeze them on a cookie sheet and then bag them. That way you can take out and use as many, or few as you like without them being frozen together.

To freeze bell peppers to use in making stuffed peppers, cut the top off, remove the seeds and blanche them in boiling water for a couple of minutes then put them into ice water until cool to handle, turn them upside down on paper towels to drain. Freeze them on a cookie sheet and then bag them for long term storage in the freezer. When ready to use them just remove from freezer, fill them with stuffing and cook them as you would if using fresh ones. They are delicious.

You can freeze them very well. I clean and chop them and put them in freezer bags. You can also buy them chopped and frozen. You can freeze celery too.

And they "can" beautifully too. See this site (Thrifty Fun) for canning instructions.

I freeze them all the time, use in cooked recipe as they get soft.

I freeze bell peppers. Just seed them and chop them. I put mine up in quart bags and just take out the amount I need when I'm cooking.
Hugs, Paula

I wash and remove the seeds. Dry the peppers with paper towel. I chop my excess bell peppers into small pieces and place in freezer bag, being sure I lay them flat in the freezer until frozen. I can then remove what I need for meatloaf or anything else I can add them to while cooking.

I would like to know how to prepare green bell peppers for freezing. I would like to prepare whole peppers for stuffing. Do I have to blanche first, thaw then cook or can I just freeze, stuff and cook while frozen.

By Rovindell from Ellicott City, MD

Answers

Bell peppers, celery, onions (and some fruits, like grapes and bananas) can all be frozen without blanching. (I do it all the time). For the peppers, core and wash and thoroughly dry (leaving water on them hastens deterioration because ice crystals form) and then pack in freezer container or bags. To keep their shape (if you have a crowded freezer) you might want to wrap individually and stack them inside something else, like a paper milk carton.

I pre-stuff my bell peppers with the mixture below and when ready to use, take out and place in 2-3 inches of water with a lid and steam all til done. My stuffing is ground beef, minute rice, stewed tomatoes, and diced onions mixed together and spooned into each pepper. Put caps back on the peppers, but remove the stem and store in freezer bags.

I wash, core and chop my bell peppers then put them in a freezer bag. I can take out what I need that way. Celery can also be frozen. For bananas I peel and slice in rounds and freeze on a flat surface then put in bags. I think you can freeze the whole banana too if you are going to use them for bread.

Can I refreeze bell pepper?

By Johanne

Answers

Best Answer

If the bell pepper has been frozen and then thawed, it probably won't freeze well a second time. I have frozen soups that were made from some frozen ingredients but they are usually mushier than the original soup.

How do you freeze bell peppers?

By Maria F

Does anyone know if it is OK to freeze sweet bell peppers with the seeds? Some one told me that I could become very 'sick', is this true?

Can you freeze green peppers once you have cleaned and sliced them? If so, how long can you keep them?

Thank you.

By Jennifer from SC

Answers

The answer to your question is on this website, save it in your favorites for further reference.
http://stilltas  tems/index/16524

I dice peppers and put 1/4 to 1/2 cup in baggies and toss them in the freezer.

I have been freezing green peppers for years. When they are in season, I buy at most inexpensive time. I cut, chop and dice them and put them in baggies. I use them all winter for a wide variety of dishes. No need to defrost. You can use them frozen for any type of cooking since they are already cut and ready. I also clean out whole peppers and freeze them that way. They are easy to stuff while still frozen. Make plenty of mixture and stuff them later if you like or right away. It dosen't really matter. They also can be cooked while still frozen. I loved stuffed green peppers in the winter. Any green pepper should keep for 6 months stuffed or unstuffed. That goes for any chopped peppers too.

I usually blanche mine first, then chop, dry off, and freeze using my foodsaver in half cup portions for use in recipes all winter. And I always parboil fresh ones before making stuffed peppers - if you don't, they will have a bitter flavor.

About a month ago, I bought a bag of sliced red peppers for $1.00 from a local restaurant food supply fruit market. I think it was about 3 pounds. I could not believe my luck. I rinsed them and put them in a bag in the freezer. I have been using them in my cooking with great results. If I ever see them again, I will buy them up!

My favorite way to eat peppers is to clean them and char them on the BBQ. When the skins are black put them in a large bowl, cover, and let them steam for a 1/2 hour while you grill your other foods. Peel off the skins, slice and dice and put in freezer bags. The flavor is wonderful. I don't know how long they last in the freezer because I use them frequently.

I need to freeze some bell peppers so they don't go bad. Can I cook them after cutting them julienne style or do they need to be cooked first? I like to use them for fajitas and soups. Thanks.

By Janice E from Centerville, TN

How do I store bell peppers in the freezer?
Thank you.

By S H

I want to make vegetarian stuffed yellow peppers. I want to know if I can freeze them after I cook them? Will they taste the same? Thank you.

How do I freeze red and green bell sweet peppers?

By Don P.

How do I freeze green peppers?

By Dean

How should I freeze green peppers to stuff later?

By Linda from Carlisle, PA

Answers

I freeze my peppers already stuffed. I prepare the stuffed peppers the way I usually do, but I don't cook them. Then I put them on a foam plate and cover them with plastic wrap or a freezer bag, and put them in the freezer. When I'm ready to eat them I let them thaw in the refrigerator and then cook them as usual. If you just want to freeze the peppers, just clean all the seeds out and put them in a freezer bag and put them in the freezer raw.

I have just bought some farm fresh green peppers and want to cut and freeze them. Can I? And how do I do that?

By Mary A.

Do frozen peppers always go soft after thawing no matter how you froze them?

By E. Davis

Can mini sweet peppers be frozen? I bought a 2 1/2 lb bag and am unsure how long they will keep in the refrigerator. Can I freeze a portion and use later?

By Joan

What is a good simple way to stuff banana peppers and freeze them?

By Nadine

Answers

Anonymous

Do you mean you need a recipe for them? If so, I can send you a couple. If you already have your own recipe just stuff them and place in airtight freezer bags without cooking them first.

Should I (or can I) blanch green peppers before freezing them?

By willow23 from Wakefield, MA

Answers:

Freezing Green Peppers

I'm going to assume you're talking about bell peppers. For years all I have done is take all the seeds out and the stem, cut them into slices then put them in a freezer bag and pop them in the freezer.

I like to put bell pepper and onion in my tomatoes when I put tomatoes up in the freezer. So last week while my tomatoes were blanching, I chopped the bell pepper up and what I didn't use in the tomatoes, I put in the freezer.
I hear you can freeze onion, too. (07/01/2009)

By SusanLee

Freezing Green Peppers

You can blanch them. Probably about 3-5 minutes. If you are going to use them as halves for stuffing, I'd blanch for appearance and texture. If chopped, maybe not bother. (07/01/2009)

By PIKKA

Freezing Green Peppers

I freeze my own seasoning mix for soups and stews by chopping onion, pepper, and celery and mixing it all together on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and freeze for about an hour or so. When it's frozen just lift up the wax paper off the cookie sheet and slide the veggies into my freezer containers for future use. It's a great time saver for me. (07/01/2009)

By binkylou

Freezing Green Peppers

You do not have to blanch green peppers, onions, or celery. I've frozen them for years. If you chop the peppers, celery, and onions they are ready to use when you want them. They do not have to be defrosted when put in something being cooked. I cut some peppers in half for stuffed peppers. (07/01/2009)

By dajavooi

Freezing Green Peppers

I've made stuffed raw bell peppers mixing the rice, ground beef, onions, and garden tomatoes and placed the mixture inside the raw bell peppers and put in one gallon freezer bags. They kept well in the freezer until ready to use. Just put what you need in a covered pan with a little water in the bottom to help steam them done and the taste was the same as when made fresh.

Also, I've cut up raw bell peppers from the garden that didn't grow very large to use as additional pizza topping and just took what I needed from the freezer bag and resealed and put back into the freezer til the next time. It's a good way to salvage smaller peppers besides adding to a salad.

(07/01/2009)

By Lorelei

When I buy red or green peppers, I only use a little bit. Can I chop them up and freeze them for later? I do this with onions, but I'm not sure how peppers would turn out.

Jessi from WI

Answers:

Freezing Green Peppers

I freeze green peppers all the time, too. They are good to use in cooked dishes, but not to thaw and try to use fresh again. I simply chop them up how I like and put in a zipper type bag and remove all the air I can. If you have time it is handy to spread them on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer until frozen, then place in a zipper bag. It is so handy to have chopped onions and peppers in the freezer for a quick meal ingredient.

Cheryl
(02/02/2006)

By hvnlyhills