Removing Smoke Odor from a Microfiber Couch

We just got a microfiber couch from a friend and cannot get the cigarette odor out. What can we use to get rid of the smell? It's gagging me. I can't even walk by it without wanting to get sick. What can I use?

By Tina B from NY

Try using equal parts white vinegar and tap water in a spray bottle. Spray the couch lightly, but completely and let it set until it is completely dry. At bedtime is a good time to do the spraying or when no one will be home for a while. It may take a couple more applications to completely get it. Be sure no one sits on it after the spray until it is completely dry. The vinegar smell will dissipate when it is dry and should leave the couch smelling fresh. It might be good to also fill a small jar or bowl that will fit under the couch and leave it there for a few days.

Does this Actually Work, I have a Recliner and I'm About to Throw it Away b cuz of the Cigarette Smell

My son lived with smokers while in college. He brought his stuff home, and I didn't even want it in the house. I read somewhere on-line that spraying with baking soda/water mixture then spraying over the top with white vinegar would take the smell out. It did! I sprayed everything, and the smell was gone. For the baking soda/water mix, I just put 2 Tbsp. of baking soda into a spray bottle, filled it with water, shook it, and sprayed.

Spraying a microfibre sofa with water/vinegar can get it too wet and leave stains. A 50/50 solution of water and rubbing alcohol will work better