Making Pecan Pie With Butter Instead of Margarine

I made a pecan pie using an old tried and true recipe, except the recipe called for oleo, and I used butter. It would not cream and there was a white layer of something under the top layer of pecans. It did not ruin the flavor of the pie, but it was not right. Can oleo, only, be used in a pecan pie?

By Elizabeth from Dodson Prairie, TX

Remember that we had butter before oleo was ever invented! You can use butter in the place of anything else a recipe calls for. I always use real butter in all my baked goods. I am from the South and we believe in butter! ;o)

I am not sure what you mean about the butter didn't cream? Most Pecan Pie recipes I've seen use melted butter. As long as your pie tasted good I wouldn't worry about a little white layer from using a natural product. Margarine is not allowed in my home and I can tell when someone else has used it to cook or bake! I used it just one time as a teen to 'butter' a slice of bread and after a couple of bites I threw it out because it left a plastic coating feeling in my mouth - Yuk! If you knew how margarine was made and it's ingredients you would never ever use it again and would easily adjust to using butter even if it means your recipe looks a little bit different.

I live in Georgia and I would advise to never use anything but butter. The taste is definitely better (not oily) and adds a richness to the pie. Anything less would be a crime!

I didn't know you could use anything but butter in a pecan pie! Beats everything else, hands down!

Butter is better.

I have always used real butter in my pecan pies and always had wonderful results. I wonder if it (the white layer) could have come from something other than the butter.

The only thing I can think of as to the nature of the white layer could be the foam from the melted butter. Perhaps you let it melt too long, it separated &/or foamed & didn't get fully blended into other ingredients. Hope this helps.

You must have let the butter turn to liquid instead of just get soft. That must be what happened. Your butter must have turned to oil and foam. Normally softened butter is always better than oleo in all recipes. Oleo (margarine) contains water.

Pecan Pie
Pecan Pie Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Pies PecanJanuary 1, 2011
corn with real butter
Benefits of Using Real Butter
Pecan Pie Cake Recipes
Pecan Pie Cake Recipes
Cooking With Butter
Cooking With Butter
pecan pie
Freezing Pecan Pie
🎉
🎄