Making Pecan Pie With Butter Instead of Margarine

Category Pecan
When making older recipes, it's sometimes necessary to exchange unwanted or unavailable ingredients. This is a guide about making pecan pie with butter instead of margarine.

I made a pecan pie using an old tried and true recipe, except the recipe called for oleo, and I used butter. It would not cream and there was a white layer of something under the top layer of pecans. It did not ruin the flavor of the pie, but it was not right. Can oleo, only, be used in a pecan pie?

By Elizabeth from Dodson Prairie, TX

Answers

Best Answer

I live in Georgia and I would advise to never use anything but butter. The taste is definitely better (not oily) and adds a richness to the pie. Anything less would be a crime!

Remember that we had butter before oleo was ever invented! You can use butter in the place of anything else a recipe calls for. I always use real butter in all my baked goods. I am from the South and we believe in butter! ;o)

Anonymous

I am not sure what you mean about the butter didn't cream? Most Pecan Pie recipes I've seen use melted butter. As long as your pie tasted good I wouldn't worry about a little white layer from using a natural product. Margarine is not allowed in my home and I can tell when someone else has used it to cook or bake!

I used it just one time as a teen to 'butter' a slice of bread and after a couple of bites I threw it out because it left a plastic coating feeling in my mouth - Yuk! If you knew how margarine was made and it's ingredients you would never ever use it again and would easily adjust to using butter even if it means your recipe looks a little bit different.

I didn't know you could use anything but butter in a pecan pie! Beats everything else, hands down!