Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

How Do I Keep the Shower Curtain From Blowing in and Sticking to Me?

We just installed a new large shower after having a small stand up shower with shower doors. We didn't want shower doors anymore. So now we have shower curtains.

How do we prevent the shower curtain from blowing in? It sticks to us and it's so annoying. We can't use the curved rod because the shower is tall and it would hold the curtain out too far and water would splash out. So now we have the curtain blowing in and sticking to us! We just got to use it for the first time today. Please help. Thanks.

By Ariela from MI

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By cathy333 [3]08/04/2012

If you splash some water on the wall of the shower, and lightly press the shower curtain to it, it will stick.

By Dandelion12/03/2010

The weight of the metal clips may do the trick though. Even though they aren't magnetic. I would try that first. If it doesn't work you can always use the clips in another application.

By Suntydt [75]11/22/2010

The solution is fairly simple. Go to Staples or Office Max and buy the big paper clips. Not the ones that are loops but the ones that have like "ears" that you fold over and press together to get them to expand. The are usually made of metal and come in three sizes. I think any will do but I don't suggest the small ones. These you will be able to clip onto the bottom of the shower curtain. Four or Five should do the trick. If not you can add magnets to the paper clips for added weight to help keep the curtain in place.

By Beth [25]11/21/2010

Besides needing a weighted curtain, or anchoring it to the sides in some way as others have said, understand that you are creating a basic weather pattern in your shower. All that hot air and humidity is rising and has to be replaced with air from the bottom. If no air can get in the bottom, the curtain is going to suck in. In my shower I leave a little place for air to get in at the front as the back end is where the water is headed.

By Grandma J [46]11/20/2010

You can also get some nice Velcro dots, industrial ones. I use them all over the house for things.

The suction from the air current outside your shower changes when the air temp changes. Inside the shower it is hot and steamy. Cold air current other side. No different than the summer storms we put up with all the time. You have created the point of collision--where the warm and cold air currents meet. Like a science experiment you want to be over!

By HJ [10]11/20/2010

I read online recently a tip about taking binder clips when traveling to keep shower curtains in place. You might try that as an inexpensive way to see if it works. I have not tried it. Good luck!

By Sandy Gerber [22]11/20/2010

How about trying velcro?

By susan [33]11/20/2010

I bought a shower curtain with suction cups attached on the outside edges. I apply pressure to the cups to attach them to the side of the shower and it doesn't blow in.

By Deanj11/20/2010

Well if the shower is made from fiberglass and we are talking showers, magnets adhere to metal not fiberglass. So forget the previous answer. I do not have a solution.

By syntoniser [5]11/20/2010

The heavy duty ones don't blow in. They cost more but are worth every penny because they eliminate that daily annoyance. Worked for me.

By Anonymous [848]11/19/2010

I've never had that happen to me so I don't know why that is happening to you but my thought would be is that if your heat/air vent faces your shower that might be the culprit and if it is that maybe just make sure the heat/air system isn't running while you're in the shower (or maybe you keep a window open while showering that causes a breeze). The magnets are a good idea because even if you don't have a metal tub the weight of the magnets will definitely help.

By Candy Killion [8]11/19/2010

They do make little contraptions to stick to the inside of the tub to make the bottom of the shower curtain behave, I have seen them at Target, Walmart and Home Depot.

By Patricia Lorenz [2]11/19/2010

Buy some magnets at the Container store or Home Depot/Lowes. You can buy them online too. Put the magnet on the inside of the shower curtain and they attach the curtain to the tub. That is if your tub isn't fiberglass. You could also use a small piece of duct tape but that'll be ugly from the inside.

By Lilac [18]11/19/2010

I hate when that happens. I love the cloth shower curtains instead of the plastic ones. They cost a little more but you can throw them in the washer and hang them back on wet. They don't seem to blow in on you like the plastic ones do.

By Linda [36]11/19/2010

Put a few magnets or just heavy items in the bottom hem.

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]11/19/2010

I buy the cheap shower curtain liners at Dollar Tree and they have magnets at the bottom that adhere to the inside of the bathtub. So I never have the problem of the shower curtain sticking to me.