Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Hydrogen Peroxide For Carpet Stains

Deciding to finally "power" clean my son's room while he is at college, I got everything off the floor. To my dismay, I found huge, dark brown spots of coffee, tea, soda (or whatever it used to be) all over my cream colored berber carpet. AAUUGGHHH!

I tried everything I had labeled "carpet cleaner" in the house then decided to go for plain old hydrogen peroxide. I did not fear it bleaching the polypropelene fibers. Even if it did, I would rather see that than the yucky brown mystery spots he left behind.

I was equally shocked to see the stains fade before my eyes! At 69 cents a bottle, what a great money saver it was. I just sprayed it on and used a rag to wipe it up after about 15 minutes.

Again, peroxide may fade some colored fabrics but, in this case, I was very happy to see the the stain "fade" with no noticable change in the carpet fibers. I would be real sure my colors would not fade before trying this on a darker colored carpet. For me, it would have meant buying new carpet as bad as the stains were.

By Leslie F P from Lakeland, FL

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By jan nash [8]07/22/2011

What a good idea. But I have a question? As peroxide comes in different volumes,which one did you use?

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.