AdviceDogs

Is 80 Pounds Heavy for a Male Lab?

My puppy Percy is passing the 80 pound mark and I'm wondering if there is a breed of labs that are bigger than normal?

By Percy'sDad from Minneapolis, MN

Hi, you didn't say how old your fur baby is. I've owned labs and lab mixed the last 25 years. One was literally dropped off on my doorstep. She was a beautiful big , and I mean big, lab. She was well groomed, had been trained, was fun and just the best dog. Took her to the vet and she had heartworm, and was 93 pounds. I was heartsick. How could someone just drop off a member of the family because she was sick? We decided to go the expense of treating her, and putting her on a diet, vet called her borderline morbidly obese. Which I thought kind of harsh. After a couple months and several hundred dollars she was all better. Turned out to be the best dog.

So I would say your dog is just about right. Just don't let him get any heavier. They need lots of exercise. They tend to get hip dysplasia if too heavy. (Vets words) Mine have all passed away from old age now, how I miss them, enjoy him he's a beauty.

Check out the web-site dogbreedinfo.com

It provides info on a vast amount of dog breeds. It says the average is about 70 lbs. but can go to 100 lbs. I think it would also depend on the height and bone structure of you dog. I have 2 American Bulldogs that are the same height, but one is slim built (85 lbs.) and the other is broad (115 lbs.)

Dogs (and cats) who are very well cared for and fed good when they are still babies tend to grow much stronger and their bones are more dense. They end up being a bigger animal all the way around and can carry more weight than one who was undernourised when they're very young.

We've noticed this more in cats than in dogs since we've adopted older dogs more often than older cats. The cats we've raised from tiny babies have

all grown considerably larger than the cats we've adopted after they were adults.

I attribute the extra growth to better and regular food from the time they are just a few weeks old. I'm sure the vitamins and indoor care probably add

pounds as well as years to their lives as well.

We've raised labs who ended up being close to 100 pounds, so I don't think 80 is too heavy. Ask your vet if you have a really good vet that you can trust.

Pookarina