Mice Odors in Walls

I am moving in to a new house and it has a major animal urine odor. It has new floor and new carpet. The smell is most likely coming from walls or vents. Is their a way I can get rid of it if I can't find it? Or get to it?

Sheila

Get help NOW before any home warranty or other assurance of structural soundness guarantee expires. Find a flooring specialist or home inspector whom you trust.

Your problem may be carpet installed over subfloor that had been urine saturated. Unless the plywood is replaced and/or cleaned and sealed, the urine odor continues to rise into the carpet especially when the humidity is high.

The other problem can be carpet installed over concrete that has not been properly sealed.

I bought a foreclosed house (cheap) that had been occupied by five brothers, their guy friends, their girlfriends, some babies, six dogs and MANY cats. (The neighbors were terrorized) The carpet had not been replaced but when my general contracctor removed it he and his helper ended up puking on the lawn. It was that bad. The sub floor had HUGE urine spots. I found a flooring contractor who scrubbed it with bleach and vinegar, allowed it to dry, then appled a heavy duty sealer. I had hardwood installed. No problem with that section of the house.

Unfortunately I had had carpet replaced in my office IMMEDIATELY after closing. The office is over concrete. The carpet installer pulled the old carpet, did not clean or seal then glued down the new carpet. He asssure me it wasn't necessary to do any prep work. The first time I complained they told me the glue would cure. Then they told me to vaccum more often. I am sitting here sniffing cat pee four years later--I finally figured out that this is the room where they penned the cats. I know I need to go back to square one but with file cabinets and a computer armoire to move, I shudder to think what a mess it would be.

Those underlying surfaces will always require cleaning and disinfecting. So flooring has to come up in order to get the job done. If it is the walls, it may require the bottom 12 inches of drywall be replaced, and the wall framing behind being cleaned and disinfected. Good luck.

can cats smell mice that are living in your walls? Mine have been doing that for about a week- (the same time we found the mouse) can they smell the through the plaster? I live in an old house and found a mouse running across my keyboard! Please help- i don't know what to do.

PS I have tin foiled my whole house in order to keep more from getting in - does it really work?