Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD

A Sharpie marker with its lid off.

Removing permanent ink from a CD or DVD can be difficult. When removing the ink you need to be careful to not damage the disc. This is a guide about removing Sharpie from a CD or DVD.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Removing Sharpie from CD or DVD

Use hand gel! Put a little on the disc and wipe away. Easy.

By

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD.

Question: Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

How do I remove Sharpie permanent marker off of a CD?

By fate from Las Vegas

Most Recent Answer

By Flyingbug04/22/2013

Ink will usually come off with a little rubbing alcohol.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

The other day we were putting pictures on a CD from my computer and my daughter accidentally mislabeled two of the CDs. She was using permanent marker. Is there anyway we can erase the label on the CD in order to label it right?

Arlene from Janesville

RE: Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

Most permanent marker can be removed with isopropyl alcohol. (07/10/2008)

By Cindy

RE: Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

I just this minute tried an idea. It worked. White Spirit. On a small cotton ball and a bit of elbow grease. I had the CD on a cloth to stop any scratches. The wiped any surplus spirit off with the cloth afterward. Wait for it to dry then rename your CDs. Thank you for prompting me to do this, now I can rename some of my CDs too. Monique (07/10/2008)

By Monique63

RE: Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

RE: Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

Regular permanent markers and solvents can damage your CDs and DVDs. This damage will defeat the purpose of the CDs for storing valuable information or photos. You should always use CD markers made specifically for labeling CDs and DVDs. I am skeptical that the permanent ink these markers contain is different from other permanent markers, but for under $5 for a set of markers why take the chance of ruining the storage life of valuable CDs? (07/10/2008)

By kidsNclutter

RE: Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

You can't remove the marker from the CD. I would just get a CD labeler and make your own cover for it. (07/11/2008)

By Joyce WI

RE: Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

This will help you. Spray a little "OFF" Deep Woods (unscented is nice) on to a paper towel and wipe where the Permanent Marker is on the CD. Off comes the Permanent Marker. Joycen. (08/16/2008)

By joycen

RE: Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

Another method that works very well is mixing Purell and GooGone together. Then wet a tissue or two with it and rubbing the CD makes it come right off. (08/07/2009)

By jamesmhobson

RE: Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

Try rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover they both work. (08/07/2009)

By sweetpeadtg

How do I clean permanent marker off of a CD?

By linbos999 from West Point, MS

RE: Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

Rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer, fingernail polish remover, or strong perfume/cologne is what I use. Sanitizer works really well and is gelled so it doesn't make a big mess. Anything with alcohol will work. (09/08/2009)

By Becca25

RE: Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

I was at a flea market one time and I watched a guy spray "Static Stop" on something that was marked with a permanent marker, wipe it, and it came right off. It was like a miracle. Worth a try. (09/09/2009)

By Your friend