Browsing: Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD

Removing permanent ink from a CD or DVD can be difficult. When removing the ink you need to be careful to not damage the disc. This is a guide about removing Sharpie from a CD or DVD.

A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 25, 2014 Flag

Use hand gel! Put a little on the disc and wipe away. Easy.

October 29, 2010 Flag

How do I remove Sharpie permanent marker off of a CD?

By fate from Las Vegas

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ink will usually come off with a little rubbing alcohol.

I need to do this all the time at the lab and the easiest and safest way is to use household rubbing alcohol. This even works with Industrial Sharpies, although you'll have to do some soaking and rubbing. Simply soak a paper towel with alcohol and then cover the ink and press lightly. Wait a minute or so and then immediately take a dry clean towel to rub and dry the area. Repeat if necessary. Don't let the dirty alcohol dry or the ink you just dissolved will spread on the CD. Soak up the dirty alcohol immediately.

Do NOT use harsh solvents like mineral spirits or nail polish remover. They'll remove the ink but will also dissolve your CD (and many plastics).

Use Cutex nail polish remover. Perhaps another make of nail polish remover will work, but can only confirm for Cutex

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Worked exactly as you said it would. I really appreciate your taking time to post this information. You just saved me $49 as a result of your great information and my being able to reuse these disks. You're great!!!

Read More Answers...

October 29, 2010 Flag

How do I clean permanent marker off of a CD?

By linbos999 from West Point, MS

Answers:

Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

Rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer, fingernail polish remover, or strong perfume/cologne is what I use. Sanitizer works really well and is gelled so it doesn't make a big mess. Anything with alcohol will work. (09/08/2009)

By Becca25

Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

I was at a flea market one time and I watched a guy spray "Static Stop" on something that was marked with a permanent marker, wipe it, and it came right off. It was like a miracle. Worth a try. (09/09/2009)

By Your friend

September 7, 2009 Flag

The other day we were putting pictures on a CD from my computer and my daughter accidentally mislabeled two of the CDs. She was using permanent marker. Is there anyway we can erase the label on the CD in order to label it right?

Arlene from Janesville

Answers:

Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

Most permanent marker can be removed with isopropyl alcohol. (07/10/2008)

By Cindy

Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

I just this minute tried an idea. It worked. White Spirit. On a small cotton ball and a bit of elbow grease.
I had the CD on a cloth to stop any scratches. The wiped any surplus spirit off with the cloth afterward.
Wait for it to dry then rename your CDs. Thank you for prompting me to do this, now I can rename some of my CDs too.

Monique (07/10/2008)

By Monique63

RE: Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

Regular permanent markers and solvents can damage your CDs and DVDs. This damage will defeat the purpose of the CDs for storing valuable information or photos. You should always use CD markers made specifically for labeling CDs and DVDs. I am skeptical that the permanent ink these markers contain is different from other permanent markers, but for under $5 for a set of markers why take the chance of ruining the storage life of valuable CDs? (07/10/2008)

By kidsNclutter

Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

You can't remove the marker from the CD. I would just get a CD labeler and make your own cover for it. (07/11/2008)

By Joyce WI

Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

This will help you. Spray a little "OFF" Deep Woods (unscented is nice) on to a paper towel and wipe where the Permanent Marker is on the CD. Off comes the Permanent Marker.
Joycen. (08/16/2008)

By joycen

Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

Another method that works very well is mixing Purell and GooGone together. Then wet a tissue or two with it and rubbing the CD makes it come right off. (08/07/2009)

By jamesmhobson

Removing Permanent Marker from a CD

Try rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover they both work. (08/07/2009)

By sweetpeadtg

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousOctober 21, 2011
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Permanent Marker
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Leather
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
Permanent Ink
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Metal
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 8, 2016 at 11:57:29 PM on 10.0.0.39 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.