Relief for Itchy Ears

By Chelz 1

I have a terrible itch deep inside my ear canal and ear drum. I went to the ENT but he insisted my ears were fine. What can I do about this itch? I've tried peroxide with no results.

By Chelz from IL

Filter Sort

By Cheryl 8 38 Flag

I have had the same issue for years. It seems to worsen when I get shampoo in my ears during a shower. It helps some to take a Qtip dipped in alcohol and gently clean the ear canal.

Hairsprays, shampoos, etc. can all cause this itching. Put cotton balls in your ears before shampooing or spraying hair with any product. That should reduce the itching episodes :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Robin 5,893 29 Flag

I have battled allergies for years. It sounds like you might be having some trouble along that line, too. Every year when I go to my allergist, she asks me if my ears ever itch. Might be something to check into. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Linda 1 13 Flag

Oh my, I had such a time with my ears itching. I had been using peroxide and alcohol on q-tips, tea tree oil-anything I could think of. Finally I asked my doctor on one of my routine visits. He was quite concerned with my use of peroxide and alcohol as he said that would damage the ear canal-dry it out-the tea tree oil he hadn't really heard of! **LOL**

However, what he "prescribed" was EAR~DRY by ERO it's for swimmers and to get water out of the ear! It really is alcohol but has glycerin in it to keep from drying out the ear. I've used it for years now and It is wonderful! You use it as drops and it fills the ear canal. I put kleenex or a piece of cotton in to absorb it as it will run out and get kinda messy otherwise. I use it after a shower, or just when my ears are bothering me-but that is very rare now. Except during cold season. I wish you luck. Oh, get it at Wal-Mart, but I'm sure it is available elsewhere, too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Carol Swanson 36 226 Flag

I'm surprised your doctor didn't tell you that its allergies. Take an allergy pill or even half a pill and the itching will go away. I doubt that you have swimmer's ear which someone else has mentioned. That is a yeast infection and should be treated by a doctor. Your doctor would have told you if you had this. Good luck

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Beth 25 1,120 Flag

Tea-tree oil on a q-tip. Don't use the pharmaceutical strength though, that's a bit strong and it bothers my ears. I get the Hollywood brand.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By christine M. Thayer 2 232 Flag

I don't know about anyone else, but if what you use only works as long as you use it & if you stop, it comes back.. It's not the answer. I use to have horrible itchy ears. OMG. I went insane. I used everything I could think of & then I used a q-tip to scratch until I bled. Pain was better than itching. Then I got a new doctor & he said I had an over-growth of candida, cause of other things that were wrong. Well, he treated me for candida & guess what, the itching stopped. Nothing in my ear ever worked, but taking the candida cure, did. Candida loves close, warm, protected, damp places. It's a perfect breading ground; sinus passages are another. A lot of people being treated for sinus issues, are really suffering with candida over growth.

You might try oregano oil for a bit It can kill candida. The thing is, if you've got it in your ear, then it's else where & you need to address it. Don't wait.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By jan king 1 319 Flag

Sounds like allergies to me. I have the same thing and take Zyrtec when the allergies act up. It's the only thing that would do the trick for me. Grandma Jan

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Barnfrau 1 Flag

Absolute cure! After years of hell, I have an absolute cure. Intense ear itching, wetness, smelly wax, onion skin tearing off. Tried everything on blog including Zymox, dog ear mite, cortizones, 4 doctors. Serious ear and facial infections. Temp relief from Vicks Vapo Rub in ears. Permanent cure from triamcinolone acetonide ointment usp, 0.5% distributed by Perrigo of Allegan, MI, USA 49010. Hallelujah I'm saved!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Vicj 1 Flag

I have pinpointed my itchy ears to an intollerance to legumes. Beans, peas and sometimes corn--especially corn starch. Also if I eat too much peanut butter. I tried to go veg once and replace my meat protein with beans but, my ears ended up so weepy, itchy and crusty that I had to stop. My mother also suffered from weepy, itchy ears all her life and never figured it out. She came from a large southern family that ate losts of beans and peas daily. Try eliminating them from your diet for a week and see if things improve then, add them back in and see what happens. Check bread for soy ingredients as well. I can still eat them but, not everyday, just a few times a week--spaced out. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Relief for Itchy Ears

My ears have been itching for 5 years now. It drives me, but especially my husband nuts. I went to different doctors and all of them told me that I have eczema in my ear, but I am sure I am sore from scratching. When I sneeze it gets worse. I feel a pressure in my ear, which causes the itch.

One doctor told me that I have a deformation inside my nose which inhibits the equalization of pressure in my ear, but there is nothing I can do about it. I also have a permanent noise in my ear which doesn't bother me, but maybe those symptoms are related. I am really desperate for help.

Christina from MI

Feedback:

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

Hmm. Try rubbing the inside of your ear with Apple Cider Vinegar on a Q-tip, or try Castor Oil. It may take a few days, but it should stop some of the itching. Good luck! (01/16/2009)

By dawnrager

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

Personally, I have been using NutriBiotic Ear Drops with Tea Tree Oil for my ear pressure (think I have a similar problem - only I don't itch, my ears just get stopped up). They might help you - the grapefruit seed extract also in it seems to cut through whatever wax etc. is clogging the ear canal. (01/16/2009)

By pamphyila

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

You may have a yeast infection in your ears. I have had them too! Your Dr. can prescribe ear drops to help. Also, sad but true, Q tips should not be used in the ear canal, hard habit to break but that wax is there for a purpose.
(01/16/2009)

By kladybug

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

I get this too, especially in winter. What helps me is drops, one part rubbing alcohol, one part distilled white vinegar. Put the drops in and let them run out. (01/16/2009)

By mel get

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

I have the same problem. Mine wakes me up at night. I take a Q tip and dip it in peroxide and clean my ears out with it. Take the other end of the Q tip and dry the ear out with it. Usually helps mine. (01/16/2009)

By mspeed

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

Do you per chance have problems with your sinus? A doctor told my neighbor that itching in her ears was one side effect of sinus problems, so I closely watched myself and I actually noticed that I get inner ear itches when I start to have problems with my sinus, too. I just never put the two together. It's something you could question your doctor about. (01/17/2009)

By theroadrunnerla

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

I suffer from eczema as well do my kids. I get itching in my ears quite often- I buy Aquaphor. I dip a q-tip in the ointment then rub the inside of my ear with it. In the morning when I get up I take my shower, then take a q-tip to dry out the inside of my ear then put the ointment on a clean q-tip. I do this for about 2-3 days. It really works wonders. I have also tried using rubbing alcohol and peroxide and they always dried my ears out more. You can get the Aquaphor at Walmart, or Walgreen's for about $10 a container, but it lasts for a really long time. You could also try this stuff if you have really dry feet, or use it on diaper rash. (01/17/2009)

By vcphillips

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

I get the same thing every now and then and, for me, it's caused from sinus drainage. When the itching happens I place the tip of my little finger in my ear and if it feels damp I use alcohol, if it feels dry I use peroxide. You can place a Q-tip in your ears but be gentle and not trying to 'clean them' but rather to just coat with the alcohol or peroxide. Hope that made sense.

Oh, and the noise you mention. If it sounds like it does to me it's almost like they're plugged up from water kind of sound. It also causes ringing in my ears when the draining is really bad. (01/18/2009)

By Deeli

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

I have a friend whose daughter has food allergies so they have learned a lot, without expensive doctors. She told me recently that itchy eyes, ears, aches, etc can be indications of food allergies. Thought it was worth mentioning to you. I have had good success with peroxide in the ears too. Blessings to you. Hope you can get some relief. (01/19/2009)

By velsgal

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

I read somewhere that itching in the ears can be a fungus. I have tried a tiny bit of cream that is used for feet. It took the itch away. (01/19/2009)

By shirleyamh

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

I too have the itchy, scaly, ringing ears, with the same results from the doctors. I have tried peroxide, alcohol, mineral oil and even grape fruit seed extract. The thing that really calms my ears down (and for long periods) is Scalpicin on a Q-Tip in my ears. Depending on how irritated they are it may burn a bit but it's instant relief. Scalpicin works on all itches for me, it is not cheap and it is found with the dandruff shampoos and scalp treatments. As for the ringing in my ears, my doctor said I could be fitted with a special hearing aid to counteract the noise if it really got to me, the only time it really bothers me is when I am in a very quiet place. I hope you get some relief, or your husband does.
(01/19/2009)

By BABBIE

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

I would try a ear, nose, throat specialist first. I had the same problem for about the same length of time and then one day it was gone. I think it disappeared about the same time I started taking antihistamines for other allergies. (01/19/2009)

By ninya61.

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

My Skin doctor told me it's caused by high sugar! I'm not sure, but he gave me Pandel cream and that worked for me.
(01/19/2009)

By Barb - Flint, MI

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

Wish I had better advice to offer, but I know I can suggest a reason it bothers your hubby. At least, I know why my scratching in my ears bothers mine. Even though I can't see how irritated my ears look when I've given in to the urge to scratch, *he* can. As for my personal relief: I have both allergies and dandruff. Like you, my doctor doesn't rate itchy ears high on her priority list. The prescriptions for my allergies don't seem to help much and I hate the thought of putting alcohol or Scalpicin (which smells like it's mostly alcohol) into my irritated ears. What I do is, whenever I wash my hair, I rub some of the dandruff shampoo into my ears, and rinse out my ears when I rinse my hair. Maybe it doesn't help for long, but I appreciate any relief! (01/19/2009)

By JustPlainJo

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

Itching ears is a classic symptom of TMD, disorder of the jaw joint, because opening and closing wiggles the inner ear where the hairs rattle against each other in a ticklish way. See an oral surgeon if you are still not helped. If you open wide and have clicking, grating or a crooked pathway of opening wide, get there faster. God bless you with this. (01/19/2009)

By kimhis

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

Itchy ears are horrible, and I see patients with it all the time. I'm an ENT nurse (certified in my profession) and I recommend you ask for a referral from your primary doctor to an ENT doc. You may have psoriasis or eczema, or a fungal infection. The main treatment is cleaning the ear by an ENT doc and getting rx medication. You need either vinegar drops OR a steroid drop (Elocon lotion or DermOtic) or both, depending on your diagnosis.

These treatments are inexpensive and very effective. This is a bad problem that is made worse with self-inflicted manipulation of the natural pH of your ear canal wax. Don't mess around with it, and get in for an Rx before you get a really painful condition called otitis externa (also called "swimmer's ear"). Do not put anything in your ear, this could make it worse. But, If you are desperate for relief until your appointment, pick up some hydro cortisone ointment, apply a small dab to your finger, place it in the outside of your ear canal and "milk" it into your ear by pressing on the notch in front of your ear canal several times.

This will give you relief, but it will not eliminate the problem. As for the Eustachian tube dysfunction (or "pressure equalizing problem"), the ENT doc will also address that as well as the noise in your ear. This could all be related to your itchy ear condition, so make sure you ask about it. Good Luck! Angie, RN, CORLN (01/19/2009)

By FrugalFranny

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

My ear doctor told me to use a solution of white vinegar and alcohol, half vinegar and half alcohol. Use it as drops then let it dry. I use a q-tip to dry mine. Put one or two drops of Lotrimin drops (from any pharmacy) in each ear. I put a drop on a q-tip and swab my ears with that. I've been doing this since 1994. It works for me and I haven't had any problems from using q-tips in my ears. (01/20/2009)

By msettamae2

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

Tea-tree oil on a q-tip works for me! (01/20/2009)

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

I want to second the thoughts suggested by Kladybug, velsgal, and Barb. I get that problem because I have a chronic problem with yeast. I also have a sensitivity to wheat. None of these things were figured out by a doctor. It was many years of trial and error and reading up on it.

When I eliminate all sugar and high carbohydrate foods consistently I can tell a difference within a few days. I also discovered I am sensitive to wheat which every doctor so far has scoffed at. When I'm off it I am so much better in many regards. (01/22/2009)

By Arlinn

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

My ears have itched for over 10 years. I finally heard about Ear Itch Relief cream from medpure.com. I ordered it Sunday night, and it arrived Wednesday from Utah to Florida. Apply very small amount to Q-tip and aah! Finally, a product that works! Active ingredient is hydrocortisone. (01/29/2009)

By Valleygirl

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

Interesting, I have the same problem. Today I read in the thrifty news about using garlic, oil, heat in microwave. Insert with a dropper, make sure be careful that you test it first; only warm not hot. I'm going to try it. I know that garlic is good for lots of things. Maybe this will work. (02/02/2009)

By Janet from Toronto, Ontario Canada

Have you ever tried MiraCell?

There's a great product that helps with itchy ears called MiraCell. It's an all natural oil that comes in a little bottle. It does a great job of soothing ear irritations and I heard about it when my mother-in-law was given a sample after an ear exam. She liked it so much she went back to the clinic and bought a bottle and swears by it. It's supposed to be great for all kinds of skin irritations and not just the ear, but that's what she mostly uses it for. (02/18/2009)

By Mil R.

Archive: Relief for Itchy Ears

I have itchy ears, especially the right ear. It's not down in the canal, but in the ear hole and in front of it.

By 0u812

Feedback:

RE: Relief for Itchy Ears

I have had this same problem. Finally my ENT specialist told me to put a drop of sweet oil or olive oil in my ear, because my ears were dry. I do this periodically and no itching! (05/13/2009)

By Toebeanie

A woman with itchy ears.
Remedies for Itchy Ears
Previous
Health & Beauty AdviceDecember 15, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Woman with Itchy Scalp
Remedies for Itchy Scalp
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
A woman with itchy ears.
Remedies for Itchy Ears
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 5:15:44 PM on 10.0.2.141 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings