Mothball Smell Out of Cedar Chest

How can I remove the smell of moth repellent from an old cedar chest? I have tried sanding it down, wiping it with vinegar, setting it out in the sun, wadding up newspaper to absorb the odor and many other things as well. Nothing has diminished the smell. I love the chest, but I don't want anything I place in it to smell like moth balls! Please help. Thanks in advance.

By Laurie from Waldo, ME

How do you remove the scent of mothballs from an old cedar chest?

Rad

I would use baking soda, but don't just open the boxes and put those in the chest. I would dump them inside the chest and after a couple of weeks I would vacuum it out. Then you can proceed with sanding if necessary.

I just inherited a lovely cedar chest and put some blankets in it, and in a month, everything reeked of moth balls that had formerly been in the chest. After trying a few web suggestions, one suggestion, spraying Fabreeze in the chest, actually WORKED! A furniture maker also said that heat (space heater or blow dryer) and air movement will help the chemicals in the mothballs dissipate. Haven't tried that yet. So far, the Fabreeze is holding! Can't believe my nose!

June 27, 2013 Flag

I've seen countless posts on "what to try" to remove mothball odor from a dresser and I've tried many of them without success. I also don't see any follow up posts of folks saying what actually worked for them. My next attempt will be to cover the entire inside with polyurethane. Has anyone tried this? Does it work?

I'm asking that answers don't include "what to try" -- there are so many posts on the web to that effect already. Instead, I'd like to hear "what worked".

Thanks!

By Mike D

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Get a bag of cedar shavings from the pet store (hamster or guinea pig litter). Put a 2 inch layer in the bottom of the cedar chest and close it up for 2 days. Clean it out (I used a shop-vac and reused the cedar shavings as mulch) and leave the chest open to air for a day. Repeat- this was fine for me. Repeat again - passed my wife's smell test.

I don't think I would use polyurethane. That would seal the wood and not help recover the cedar smell. I am about to tackle the same problem. Hope you are successful.

March 8, 2011 Flag

We received a family cedar chest that can't be used because of an awful smell of mothballs. Why would anyone put mothballs in a cedar chest anyway? Does anyone know of a good way to get the smell out of the cedar?

Lisa from Michigan

Answers:

baking soda

I would first place a couple of opened boxes of baking soda in the cedar chest, close the lid, and leave it for a few days. Then take sandpaper and sand the inside of the chest. This revives the cedar scent. The sanding also works well for cedar lined drawers, paneling, cedar blocks, etc.

KC (12/01/2000)

By admin2

Mothball Smell Out of Cedar Chest

I think the sanding idea will be very effective. Also, consider putting dry coffee grounds in the chest. The more the better. (09/10/2005)

By Paula in GA

Cedar Chest
Removing Mothball Odor From a Cedar Chest
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMarch 8, 2011
Old couch that smells like mothballs.
Removing Mothball Smell from Furniture
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Mothballs
Removing Mothball Odor from Washing Machine
Colored Naphthalene Balls
Alternative to Using Mothballs
🎄