Oil in Lawnmower Gas Tank

I had a new mower given to me and the person said that oil got into the gas. Sure enough, there was oil in the gas tank. I don't have any idea how this could happen, except maybe the person put the oil in the gas by mistake. Let me know what you all think. I'm going to love to hear your replies on this one.

Thomas from Boston, Virginia

As you probably already know, in some motors (2 stroke) you have to mix oil in with the gas... I bet this person thought this was the case.

I had the same problem when I bought a used mower. I drained the tank and filled with fresh gas. Then I ran the mower. It smoked like crazy until all the oil was burned up in about 15 minutes. Then I cleaned the spark plug and it ran very well with no difficulties.

I should have added in my previous post that oil in the gas could also mean a broken gasket or other internal problem that is letting the oil seep into the gas. But I would think the gas would also show up in the oil. Otherwise, if not then run the mower after changing the gas. Gas is a solvent and will clean out any oil.

Someone mentioned 2 Stroke, what does that mean or how can one tell if their newly purchased USED lawnmower is a 2 stroke? No, I am not blonde just learning something I did not know.

Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersSeptember 29, 2008
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway