Upright Freezer Needed

I am trying to cook ahead and prepare freezer meals, but don't have enough room in my side-by-side (it has very inconvenient bins instead of shelves). I had a garage freezer, but it broke, and now I miss it! Does anyone know where to find a good cheap one? I tried on-line at Lowes, Sears, Half.com, Overstock.com, but no-one had a 12-15 cu.ft. freezer for under $350! That defeats the whole point of saving money by cooking in bulk! - Pam Powers

I want to spend under $150. If you have any ideas, I'm interested!

Do you have an answer? Post it online or email it to us.

The DOE website has the following tips for buying a new freezer, the manual defrost recommendation would also apply to buying a used freezer.

"Tips for Buying a New Freezer

There are two basic freezer styles: upright (front loading) and chest (top loading). Chest freezers are 10-25% more efficient than uprights because they are better insulated and air doesn't spill out when the door is opened. However, you should also consider convenience when selecting a freezer; chest models can be more difficult to organize.

Manual defrost freezers are more common than automatic defrost models. Manual defrost models consume 35-40% less energy than comparable automatic defrost models. Because a freezer is opened less frequently than a refrigerator, frost will not build up as quickly as it might in manual defrost refrigerators. Automatic defrost freezers may dehydrate frozen food, causing freezer burn. "

Watch the classified ads in your local paper. You could also place one yourself asking for an upright freezer. Also look at garage sales and rummage sales. Make sure you ask at each sale if they have an upright freezer for sale. Make sure you tell your friends and coworkers. Quite often when you put the word out items you are looking for come out of nowhere.

We also found this on the Department of energy website:

Tips for Lowering Your Freezer Energy Usage

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf175803.tip.html" rel="nofollow" target="new">http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf175803.tip.html

Estate auctions and sales. Show up early so you can check out what is available and the condition it is in. Make a point of not going over whatever limit you set yourself. Another will come along. Also, check the classifieds.

Try the website for "Loot". Depending on what part of the country you are in, this can be a great way to find gently used stuff at a good price. I got a full sized futon (wood) for $100.00 and I could have gotten it for $85 if I had been in a haggling mood. The couple just wanted to get rid of it to make more room in their apartment. A comparable futon, brand new would have been $350.00, with out the mattress! You'll have do a search but, I think it's www.lootusa.com If you omit the usa, you end up on a British site. Cheerio...

http://www.lootusa.com" rel="nofollow" target="new">http://www.lootusa.com

Great ideas for used. If you are looking at a new one at Lowes, HomeDepot, Etc, Go to www.google.com and click on the "FROOGLE" link. then you can compare prices on them at various places.

KC

We need a upright freezer with the height no more than 32 inches. Where can we find one at

Look at your local Salvation Army store,Goodwill or other used furinture stores. Place a ad in local paper. Somebody proably has one they don't use anymore because the kids have left home.

Join www.freecycle.org - you will be directed to your local group. Members list items they no longer need, the only stipulation that the items are absolutely FREE. It is a way to help neighbors and keep the landfills clear. You may also list needs, too. Good luck.

My friend bought a small chest freezer from Menards with a dent in the side.It cost him $100 and works just fine. Look at all of the stores for something cosmetically damaged. Might be a great deal.

Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
Keeping orchids upright
Keeping Orchids Upright
Raising Runner Ducks
Raising Runner Ducks
Old Ironing Board
Uses for Old Ironing Boards
🎄