Chest Freezer Reviews

Category Freezers
When deciding to purchase a stand-alone freezer, the type of freezer you need depends on your budget and how you intend to use the freezer. This guide contains reviews of stand-alone freezers.

I need to replace our 30-year-old freezer. Looking to purchase small, chest-type, freezer, about 9 cubic feet. Any advice on brands?

Betty from Beaverton, OR

Answers

I FIND KENMORE OR ANY OTHER BRAND CARRIED BY SEARS IS A WIN-WIN APPLIANCE PURCHASE. THE PRICES ARE GOOD AND SO ARE THE APPLIANCES. I DON'T HESITATE TO HEAD FOR SEARS WHEN I NEED AN APPLIANCE.

I agree with Elaine on Kenmore. I own a Kenmore freezer and it has been trouble free. It is garage kept and it gets pretty darned hot down here in south Mississippi but the freezer has held up nicely these last three years I've had it. Now, I personally chose to go with an upright instead of a chest freezer simply because I had a small chest freezer before, a Frigidaire (it went with my ex so I don't know if it held up or not!) but anyway, everything got lost in the bottom of the chest freezer and digging through it was such a pain. Mine is a 13.7 cu. ft. upright, and I so much prefer the upright. Even though it's just me and my husband now, we use every inch of it! It's so much easier to see everything, and easier to organize, but that's just my opinion.

I have my second Kenmore chest freezer; my first was a 9 cubic ft. and when I needed something larger I got a 12 cubic ft. and I've been very pleased with both of them. I gave the 9 cubic ft. away to a family member when I got the larger one and it has been in constant use between the two of us for about 25 years at this point in time, with no problems.

I would like to know your recommendation of a good freezer, about 10 cubic feet.

Berta from Detroit, MI

Answers

When we bought our freezer back in the late winter (around feb. i am thinking) I went online and went to the yahoo search engines and typed in freezer recommendations. I know I spent maybe 1 hour researching what we needed, because you need a certain cubic foot per family member and don't remember that. I also think it is important to get one with a keyed lock. I don't know if i am much help because I don't remember our brand name. I know it was a maytag/whirlpool's scratch and dent sale,and most likely the latter. you can save mega bucks if you are willing to get one a little dinged up. Also ask yourself if you need a chest freezer. Can you stand on your head while you get in the freezer digging around? Or do you want an upright, much easier to navigate in? Our upright has a metal basket at the bottom and we put all our hamburger packages down there. If you use the presto seal-a-meal packager available at the super walmart (not that i want to plug them, only store around here) and put your hamburger up in these packages it keeps for a very long period of time. No more freezer burn for us. What got freezer burned was the ham I forgot and left in there for 3 monthes. Anyway, research it...do you want to self-defrost...or frost free? Lots of variables that might work for you and not for somebody else. I found out about the scratch and dent sale by pulling up the nearest city's online classifieds and just happened to luck out. Good luck.

We bought a Sears Kenmore frost free upright 13.7 cu. ft. freezer 3 years ago for about $380 and I absolutely love it. I once had a smaller chest type freezer and hated it. Things got lost in the bottom and forgotten about and it was virtually impossible to organize. I really like the fact that the upright opens like a refrigerator where you can see everything and it is much easier to organize. It does have a lock on it but since there aren't any kids around we don't use it. Our's is kept in the garage. Anyway, although it's just my husband and me, we keep it filled. I buy the family packages of meat and repackage them for 2 in freezer bags. I also like to buy the huge family size bags of veggies like california mix, broccoli, stir fry, etc. In fact the bottom basket is full of vegetables. Anything I cook, I cook for at least 4 and then package the leftovers in freezer bags. I keep baking stuff (flour, yeast, corn meal, etc.) in the freezer. I freeze cheese, chocolate, chocolate chips, fruit, nuts, just about anything! I keep some frozen dinners on hand for those days I'm just to tired to cook, and of course, this time of year (hurricane season) I also bag up lots of ice ... just in case.