Repairing a Gasket on a Chest Freezer

Category Freezer
If your freezer doesn't seal properly it may be time for a new gasket. This guide is about repairing a gasket on a chest freezer.

I am looking to replace the gasket on a very old chest deep freezer. It is a Sears Coldspot Twenty-two and was manufactured in the mid-50s, I believe. It is not self-defrosting. The freezer works great, but the gasket has torn loose and now there is mildew gathering around the outside edges of the freezer all the way across the back and halfway up one side.

he gasket is not fixable. It is misshapen and cracked and torn in 3 places. The freezer belonged to my mother and she got it used many years ago. It's been in the basement for nearly 40 years and still runs like a top. The lid will no longer stay up on it's own, but it is not loose or wobbly so I can prop it up when I am rummaging in the freezer. It has plenty of ice buildup in it at present, as it helps to insulate around the places where the gasket is missing. I was wondering if I could use any of the silicone gasket makers that are sold for automotive use. I did find one that said it was good for temperatures in the range of -40 to 500 degrees. I also read that for a super cheap (temporary) fix, you can glue sponges on in place of the missing or damaged gasket. Anyone have any experience with this or have any ideas?

Answers

Go on eBay. My opinion is that a freezer this old uses a lot of electricity and you are probably better off buying a new, energy-efficient model

Sears repair shops sell gaskets for their freezers.
You will need the model number if possible but the over all size is what they will go by.

Measure the inside and the outside just to be sure.
They may just sell you a "roll" of gasket and let you fit it in.

Judy is correct in that it is probably an electricity hog but if you want to keep it then try Sears before they go bankrupt.
They may have this type gasket in their online store.

I recently purchased a pre-owned chest freezer that is like new and freezes well. However, the owner had propped the lid open to prevent mildew and now the gasket/seal is bent in that place. I tested the seal by closing the lid on a sheet of paper and the gasket holds it tight, except in that spot. Since this is not a frost-free freezer, I'd like to ensure a tight seal. Is there anything I can do to fix this, without having to replace the entire gasket?

By Moogies from Double Oak, TX

Answers

Cut a thin strip of a sponge and glue it in the section where the gasket/seal is bent. If the glue doesn't hold, still use a piece of sponge in that area where the seal isn't tight.

Did you try to heat the magnet with a hair dryer? The magnet should drop back in place. Louis