Removing Pressure Cooker Gasket Odor

The gasket on your pressure cooker can absorb the odor from the foods cooked inside. This is a guide about removing pressure cooker gasket odor.

To remove odors from a pressure cooker gasket, simply "fold" the gasket to make it smaller, and put it in a pot. Cover with water and sprinkle with about a tablespoon baking soda. (The worse the odor, the more baking soda you will want to use.)

Cover the pot, and heat until almost boiling. (You can boil, but it may spatter baking soda water on you stove.) Let it set to allow the baking soda to absorb the odor. (The water will smell bad as the odor is released from the gasket.) Drain, rinse, repeat as many times as necessary.

I know this works because I removed the awful odor from burned (charred) greens from my gasket. It is still a tan color instead of white, but is fully functional, several years later. (I think I had to do this 10-12 times, it was so bad.)

Anonymous

I have tried several methods to eliminate the gasket smell; none worked. Today I gave this a try and I was amazed at the immediate result.

The smell was significantly reduced and a second application has all but eliminated the problem.

Anonymous

I have been using Efferdent denture cleaning tablets that I picked up at Dollar Tree. I throw in a few tabs in hot water and let it sit overnight. Not perfect but a lot better! I also set the cover upside down when not in use.

I just tried an experiment and it worked on getting the odor out of the pressure cooker seal......
Pour 2 cups of water in pressure cooker, then pour a dash of lemon juice in....cover and set timer for 1 minute.
Remove lid and let sit for 2 minutes.....then remove seal and metal holder......rinse in soapy dish water.....

Your seal will now smell like lemone.
I used cinnamon......but anything is better than the smell of stew.

Hello, to *anyone* who has offered solutions for odor removal of gaskets for pressure- or multi- cookers:

Could you each please update your info as to whether your technique was for a *rubber* gasket or a *silicone* one?

It might matter, in respect to efficacy &/or whether the added agent (e.g., baking soda; or an Efferdent tablet; etc) could degrade the gasket, especially over time.