Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dog Going to the Bathroom In The House

My dog is now 5 years old and EVERY day she does her business in the house. I live with my parents and they said that if I don't find out why she's doing this I'll have to get rid of her. I exercise her before I go to school, when I get home, later that night, and she still does her business in the house! Why is she doing this?

Holly from Muskego, WI

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Sharon (Guest Post)01/27/2009

My 1 1/2 year old Cairn terrier goes outside during the day to the bathroom and the last time I let him out is around 10:30P - every morning I see that he has done his business during the night in the kitchen - the last time he eats is about 5PM every day. How can I break him of this??

By Harriet (Guest Post)11/09/2008

I have a rat terrier pekineses mix, she uses her doggy door during the day to potty, but uses the bathroom in the house at night. Why will she not use the doggy door to go outside at night. How do I teach her to do so?

By Jennifer (Guest Post)09/13/2008

Hi, I have a 2 year old black lab who I adopted from an animal shelter about 1 year and a half ago. Ever since I got her she's been having on-n-off bathroom problems. She'll go to the bathroom in the upper living room whenever she has to go because she doesn't know how to tell us if she does need to.

By me (Guest Post)01/29/2008

This can also be the dogs way of marking your kids as his territory. You also might not be getting the entire smell out of the bed. You might wanna try a spot cleaner or something and kennles work wonders. Hope this helps!

By Amber (Guest Post)01/26/2008

My kids are gone every weekend and while they are gone our dog uses the bathroom on their bed. Could this be her way of showing that she is mad at them for leaving?

By JESSICA (Guest Post)03/26/2007

We have 2 boston terrier puppies our female is 11 months old. She continually goes to the bathroom on our childrens beds, on their clothes, in their closets anywhere!!!. We have gotten so fed up with her that we had to give her away what could the problem have been?

By denise warner (Guest Post)02/28/2007

well this could be a possiblity and i hope not to offend anyone what if the dog smells urine in areas of the house that were already there.i have had this problem with two dogs i have bladder problems and when i put my dog on my bed where i sit and sleep he always pees at first i got mad but then i realized what was going on so i got the urine be gone to get rid of any smell that may make the dog think its alright to go there

By Another dog lover (Guest Post)02/28/2007

First, the dog needs more time to go to the bathroom, especially since you are only taking it out three times a day. Can you only go to the bathroom just three times a day? Try it and see how well you do. You may need to take the dog to the vet. She may have developed a UTI or a bladder infection causing her to loose her urine before she goes out.

By sharon02/28/2007

1) Take the dog to the vet. The dog could have a medical problem such as a urniary tract infection (UTI) or bladder/kidney stones or other problems that can/should be diagnosed and treated by the Vet.
2) www.petsmart.com has dog pads that are washable and hold 5 times their weight in fluid. They do not allow urine odor, hold up well, and can take 300 washings before they loose their odor fighting capacity. They aren't cheap, $50 a pad, but that's nothing if you want to keep your dog.
3) Keep the dog in a room with the pads. If you don't want to use the pads you can make waterproof pads with heavy plastic on the bottom and then towels or old blankets on top. They also have cheap mattress pads for bedwetters. You can get those at Walmart for cheap.
But first I would take the dog to the Vet. At age 5, sounds more like a medical problem to me than a behavior problem.
I understand your parents concern about the dog urine, but it's a dog, not something you toss out like garbage. Find a solution to this situation, you owe it to your pup.

By (Guest Post)02/28/2007

are your parents not willing to take out the dog?
Do they both work? Could they not help with this, even though IT IS YOUR DOG.? I mean, come on, after 5 yrs. it would be awful to have to get rid of the dog, for you and mostly for the dog!

By Kim McGrantham [16]02/28/2007

You need to take her out alot more often than twice a day.

By candy (Guest Post)02/28/2007

You ever think maybe the dog doesn't have enough time to do its business. The dog may need up to a half hour to finish its business when you take the dog out side.
That or the dog might have a bladder infection, take it to the vet to find out.

By beth callachan02/26/2007

sometimes when a dog gets older it can have a hard time holding its pee when it get excited or scared, especially if its been scolded or reprimanded about it.it may need a bit more time than a 5 min shot out the back door in the morning rush before school. some have been paper trained and if so buy a cheap rubber door mat and put papers over in a quiet place, basement or laundry, back porch etc and show her that if it needs to go and no ones home thats the place to do it and she'll get praised for it. 1. it saves the rest of the house and no upset parents and 2.it takes the fear out of the situation and most will end up waiting till they can go outside with you. Sometimes when dogs go the bathroom they get buggled up and the poo etc dries the hole closed just like little kids so it also improves if you can trim the hair around that area and clean there bum with a baby wipe when they get brushed. They will love you for it, good luck