Raising Finches

We have a male and female Society finch. They have laid 2 batches of eggs now. They take turns sitting, to no avail, the eggs have been infertile both times. We give them fruit and vegetables with their feed, fresh water daily, clean cage, proper nest, and none of the eggs are ever fertile. Why? What do we do? Thank you.

By D Ryall from Tigard, OR

I had some zebra finches and had the same problem for a while. I contacted the zebra finch society and they told me to change the type of nest I had in the cage. Still don't understand the difference other than they liked the new one better, but the next thing I knew I had 7 birds! They hatched 5 in one clutch! Don't know if that'll help you or not, but I'd suggest going online and contacting the society finch club. They should be able to help you better than anyone else.

Good luck!

May 11, 2011 Flag

Why does my zebra finch sit in her nest all day while there are no eggs?

By fayed

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 31, 2010 Flag

I have 6 finches and I just want to know how do you tell a male finch from a female finch? Also, do you keep the male in with the female while she's sitting on the eggs? I am new at this and my pair just had some babies. We think they push them out of the nest. We keep their cage clean and we make sure they have water and food, too. What do they like to eat?

Thank you for your help.
Melissa

Answers:

Raising Finches

There is a website petMD.com that you can go to and ask all pet related questions. You can also friend Petfooddirect.com on Facebook and watch many great videos made by Dr. Wendy. I know her and the people that run petMD and they are excellent sources of information related to pets. (11/02/2010)

By blazincopper

Raising Finches

If you have Zebra finches, the males have an orange patch on their cheeks. The females do not. I do not know what to tell you about the eggs, as I have never raised any finches and mine never laid any eggs.

I wished I could be more help. (11/04/2010)

By lindelsue1954

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 23, 2010 Flag

I just looked in my bird cage and noticed two eggs. One was just laying in cage cracked and the other egg was in the log. I was so happy, until I noticed the cage window open and one of the finches gone.

It had to be the male, because the other bird did not leave and sits on the egg. I always close the window when I give them water. Is it possible the bird is in apartment? Is it possible he opened the window?

I know that finches don't like to be alone. Do I get another male? Do I do anything extra for the egg? How long does it take to hatch? Do I need to buy something extra so the egg has more cushion? She just used the the stuff in the cage that you buy, those wood chips.

By Dori from Houston, TX

Answers:

Raising Finches

It is very possible the bird is still around. I wouldn't be looking for a replacement anytime soon. Just keep your eyes and ears open. You may hear it before you ever spot it.

I had finches once and found an egg as well. But the egg never hatched. Talking to a friend of mine, he said finches sometimes lay dormant eggs. I have no idea and I don't know how much he knew of finches other than he raised them as well. (11/27/2009)

By Suntydt

Raising Finches

If you tape record the sound of the bird then maybe the other bird will hear it and return to its haven. I had two parakeets that escaped outdoors and did a look up on the "net" about getting them to return to the cage and I read this helpful tidbit. (11/27/2009)

By Lorelei

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Fledgling Beige Bengalese
Breeding Society Finches
Pets BirdsDecember 31, 2010
Daughters Horse Riding Daddy
Raising Girls
Pair of Zebra Finches on Perch
Breeding Zebra Finches
Grandparent with Granddaughter
Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
Bengalese Finches
Breeding Bengalese Finches
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 3:08:54 AM on 10.0.2.145 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.