General AdviceConsumer Advice

EMS Mail Returned "Not Deliverable as Addressed"

The International Service Center in New York, NY (USPS), has returned my item to the sender on July 10, 2011 because it could not be delivered as addressed. What does, "it could not be delivered as addressed" mean?

By Alexei from Belmar, NJ

You could ask the postal service but it most likely means the address is wrong, no such address or the person has moved with out a forwarding address. Wrong address could mean wrong street number, wrong street or wrong zip code.

I agree with foxrun; go to your local post office and ask them if they can tell what is missing from the address. They should be able to help you.

Most likely the address was missing an business suite/apartment/flat number designation. I've had several pieces of mail returned for that reason, and with that exact statement stamped on the returned piece.

The USPS isn't always right about that, though. I lived in a complex once that had individual addresses for each unit and every now and then the substitute postie would not understand that-cable and electric bills sometimes were returned to the company as "it could not be delivered as addressed" because the sub saw the individual address as wrong automatically when he/she pulled into an apartment complex. It was a real pain, and USPS could only say that sometimes subs get it wrong even if the regular postie had left detailed information about his or her route.

It actually means wrong addressed same thing happened to me. but what do I do to get my item back :(