Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

There is a bitter green tea taste in my coffee travel carafe. It makes my coffee taste bitter. How can I remove the taste?

By Vivian from New York City

You could try filling it with strong lemon juice solution overnight and washing it next morning.

I wouldn't recommend doing anything with lemon juice if your travel thermos is stainless steel on the inside. If stainless steel has even a tiny scratch or chip in it, lemon juice will make it pit (aka, put black, non-removable circles on it), which can make its insulation properties weaken. I used to work for a kitchen appliance and cookware manufacturer, which is how I know this.

What can happen with thermoses used for coffee is that they can get a buildup of coffee-coated calcium on the inside if you use it often. I would suggest trying out two things, first would be filling the thermos with half white vinegar, half water, and letting it soak overnight. The next day, use something similar to a baby bottle brush or one of those dishwashing sponges with a handle, rinse with water, and wipe the inside out.

If that doesn't work, you can try the same method, but instead of vinegar and water, use something a bit stronger, a couple tablespoons of liquid dishwasher detergent (not dish soap) and fill the rest up with water.

Good luck! :)

If you can get your hand inside, or a folded kitchen sponge, I would try rubbing the inner surface with baking soda. This should help get the deposits off. Then I would let it sit with baking soda and water in it for a couple of hours, then rinse well, wash, dry and try it.

Have you tried using vinegar? I use it to clean my coffee makers and carafe. I mix 1/4 vinegar with 3/4 water. Two times is usually enough to get out all the impurities. Rinse it out twice with water and it should get rid of the vinegar smell and taste.

Three tablespoons bleach and the rest hot water, let sit for 1/2 hour then wash well and rinse well in hot water. Best way to rinse is put under tap at hottest water temp and let it run.

Wash it with Dawn dishwashing liquid using a bottle brush or dish sponge and hot water to remove the oils, be sure to include the threaded top. Rinse well then fill with baking soda in water to the brim so it will cover the screw threads and let sit overnight, Next morning rinse and should be ready to go and clean smelling and tasting.

Fill it with hot tap water and add 1 or 2 (depending on capacity of thermos ( I use 2 in my quart size) denture tablets (these are the tablets used for cleaning artificial dentures). Let this set unclosed until the water has cooled (I do this overnight) then rinse well and you are set to go. If the top also needs cleaning fill a container that is large enough to hold it and follow the same procedure.

This is a completely safe way to clean as the tablets are used for dentures which will return to the mouth when the dentures are cleaned.

Good luck.

Please 'do not use bleach' as it can leach in to the lining of the carafe! I so wish that people understood that bleach can contaminate any food utensil that might have a porous material!

Fill half way with hot water, add a couple tablespoons of salt, put lid back on, shake like crazy, finish filling with hot water, shake again and allow to soak for a few minutes. You can also try roopasekhar's vinegar idea but make sure the water is hot.

Great advice on Thermos Cleaning. I just used the Denture tablets, my Mom lives with me and we had plenty on hand. After just a couple hours I rinsed carafe and it was sparkling clean! Saved me from buying anything special. I'll definitely use this method in the future. Thanks for the idea. :)

Take about 1 tsp of baking soda and fill with hot water. Shake to dissolve and let it set for about 1/2 hour. Then use a bottle brush, wash and rinse. It will sparkle again.

January 8, 2011 Flag

How do you clean the inside of a thermos carafe? It is stained with coffee.

Sheila from Boynton Beach, FL

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

I would think a little baking soda and water would do the trick. I would put a bit in the container, place the lid back on and shake, shake, shake. Afterwards, I would empty and rinse well with hot water. A vinegar and water combo would more than likely do the trick as well.

I hope this works.

By forgetmenotaromas

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

You could try using hot water and 1-2 denture cleaning tablets. Dissolve the tablets in the carafe, let sit overnight, then wash and rinse as usual. This works well on my thermos. (12/30/2007)

By Jean

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

When I worked at a restaurant and the coffee carafe got dirty, we filled it with Coke and let it sit for about 30mins. No scrubbing necessary! (12/30/2007)

By Londa

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

I use a Mr. Clean magic Eraser! (12/30/2007)

By carol

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

I use automatic dishwasher detergent. Before I read about this tip, I had a difficult time keeping the thermos clean. The first time I used this method, I had to soak the thermos several times to clean it. It was pretty disgusting to see how dirty it was all that time. Once a week, I sprinkle about one tablespoon of DW detergent in a stainless steel one quart thermos and add enough hot water to fill.

After putting the lid on tightly, I shake it gently and let it soak for about an hour or more. I turn it upside down for half the time to make sure both top and bottom get cleaned. Rinse thoroughly with water and let air dry upside down.

The thermos is used weekly for coffee, so during the week, I rinse it thoroughly and drain overnight.

By Mike

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

If the baking soda and water trick doesn't work, try using slightly moistened baking soda as an abrasive and scrub using nylon net. Works for my coffee/tea cups. (01/03/2008)

By nanaverm

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

1/8 cup of bleach works great on thermos or glass carafe. As you swish it around, you can see the coffee coming off in layers until it is sparkling clean. You only need to do once a month or when it begins to stain. Rinse thoroughly with hot water. (08/08/2008)

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

When cleaning Thermos products, never use bleach or harsh detergent; a mild dishwashing liquid is sufficient. Use a damp washcloth or sponge to clean the exterior of lunchboxes or Thermos mugs, and rinse mugs after each use with warm water. If beverages have been in the mug for hours, soaking the mug for a few minutes is best to keep the mug fresh for further use.

I found this here: (11/06/2008)

By Barstow

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

I am here to tell you that my thermos was black with coffee stain. I tried baking soda, vinegar, Coca-cola, and pennies, nothing worked. Then I tried dishwasher detergent, my thermos is spotless. (12/15/2008)

By Jason

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

As most of the great scientific discoveries are accidents, this is what I found. As I usually drink white tea (which in the end leaves my thermos as dirty as it can be), once I tried Coldrex and hot water. I filled the thermos and an hour later it was perfectly shiny.

NB: messes up a tea though, so if it's your last pack and you have a nasty cold... (02/26/2009)

By Grass

Coffee Carafe
Cleaning a Coffee Carafe
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesJanuary 8, 2011
rinsing out a coffee pot with hot water
Cleaning a Coffee Pot
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Coffee Stain on Carpet
Removing a Coffee Stain from Carpet
cup of coffee
Making Coffee Without a Coffee Maker