Cleaning a Coffee Carafe

Category Dishes
Having a clean decanter helps keep your coffee tasting delicious. This guide is about cleaning a coffee carafe.

Almost everyone I know has forgotten to turn off the coffee pot from time to time. We tend to think a cleanser will get the grime out but, in reality, it scratches the carafe and it will break easier.

The best way to remove those tough baked on stains is to put some ice cubes into the carafe, and slosh them around until all the burnt coffee is gone. Simple, easy, and very clever.

By gem from Gordonsville, VA

Top Comment

Sprinkling a little baking soda in there and adding just enough hot water to make a paste will also work to clean a carafe without scratching it up.

I just spoke with one of my sons and he gave me a great tip. He uses an auto drip coffee maker. When he empties the carafe, he rinses the filter and uses it to scrub the inside of the glass carafe. He tells me the glass shines like new money. The filter is just abrasive enough to remove the coffee stains without harming the finish. You don't have to fool with the vinegar boil every few days or weeks depending on how often you use the pot.

By Marty Dick from Houston, TX

Top Comment

I use crushed ice and salt, put some of each in carafe and swish for several seconds, empty and rinse with cold water, will shine like new.

If you have a stained glass coffee maker carafe with the plastic top (pour spout area), resist the urge to clean it in the dishwasher. The sealant around the plastic section will soon shrink and start to leak coffee when you pour. Instead, just put in a spoon of dry dishwasher detergent and fill the carafe with water to below the plastic section.

In a matter of seconds, you will see large dark flakes of 'stain' peeling off the inside of the glass. Swish with a dish brush, or pour out the water and wipe the inside with a sponge, then rinse. The glass will quickly be clear as new!

By CrafterMary from Mtn. Pine, AR

Removing stubborn coffee stains on cups and carafes can be done in one of the several ways found in this guide, including using denture tablets, baking soda, or lemon juice mixed with salt or sugar. This is a guide about cleaning a coffee stain off of a plastic carafe lid.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

There is a bitter green tea taste in my coffee travel carafe. It makes my coffee taste bitter. How can I remove the taste?

By vivian bader from New York City

Answers

Best Answer

Have you tried using vinegar? I use it to clean my coffee makers and carafe. I mix 1/4 vinegar with 3/4 water.

Two times is usually enough to get out all the impurities. Rinse it out twice with water and it should get rid of the vinegar smell and taste.

The hints I received were so good on how to remove coffee stains from the lid of my thermos carafe, I now need to know how to remove the coffee smell from the thermos carafe itself. You guys are all great.

Laurie

Answers

Best Answer

My husband uses a stainless steel lined thermos for coffee every day. When he comes home I rinse it well with hot water, adding a drip of dish detergent, shake it then rinse well. Once a week, to the empty thermos, I add about 1/4 cup of baking soda, to this add boiling water to the top. I set the lid on top.

Do this in the sink because it will foam up. I let it soak for about 30 minutes and then rinse well. I sometimes add about 1/2 cup of white vinegar before filling with boiling water. I do not know how this would work for a glass lined thermos carafe using the boiling water, I would try hot water instead. I read but never tried is to soak a thermos or carafe using hot vinegar.

How do you clean the inside of a thermos carafe? It is stained with coffee.

Sheila from Boynton Beach, FL

Answers:

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

I would think a little baking soda and water would do the trick. I would put a bit in the container, place the lid back on and shake, shake, shake. Afterwards, I would empty and rinse well with hot water. A vinegar and water combo would more than likely do the trick as well.

I hope this works.

Marla

(12/30/2007)

By Marla Ball

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

You could try using hot water and 1-2 denture cleaning tablets. Dissolve the tablets in the carafe, let sit overnight, then wash and rinse as usual. This works well on my thermos. (12/30/2007)

By Jean

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

When I worked at a restaurant and the coffee carafe got dirty, we filled it with Coke and let it sit for about 30mins. No scrubbing necessary! (12/30/2007)

By Londa

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

I use a Mr. Clean magic Eraser! (12/30/2007)

By carol

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

I use automatic dishwasher detergent. Before I read about this tip, I had a difficult time keeping the thermos clean. The first time I used this method, I had to soak the thermos several times to clean it. It was pretty disgusting to see how dirty it was all that time. Once a week, I sprinkle about one tablespoon of DW detergent in a stainless steel one quart thermos and add enough hot water to fill.

After putting the lid on tightly, I shake it gently and let it soak for about an hour or more. I turn it upside down for half the time to make sure both top and bottom get cleaned. Rinse thoroughly with water and let air dry upside down.

The thermos is used weekly for coffee, so during the week, I rinse it thoroughly and drain overnight.
(01/03/2008)

By Mike

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

If the baking soda and water trick doesn't work, try using slightly moistened baking soda as an abrasive and scrub using nylon net. Works for my coffee/tea cups. (01/03/2008)

By Nancy Collins

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

1/8 cup of bleach works great on thermos or glass carafe. As you swish it around, you can see the coffee coming off in layers until it is sparkling clean. You only need to do once a month or when it begins to stain. Rinse thoroughly with hot water. (08/08/2008)

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

When cleaning Thermos products, never use bleach or harsh detergent; a mild dishwashing liquid is sufficient. Use a damp washcloth or sponge to clean the exterior of lunchboxes or Thermos mugs, and rinse mugs after each use with warm water. If beverages have been in the mug for hours, soaking the mug for a few minutes is best to keep the mug fresh for further use.

I found this here:

http://www.gourmet.org/articles/thermos-company-products.html (11/06/2008)

By Barstow

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

I am here to tell you that my thermos was black with coffee stain. I tried baking soda, vinegar, Coca-cola, and pennies, nothing worked. Then I tried dishwasher detergent, my thermos is spotless. (12/15/2008)

By Jason

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

As most of the great scientific discoveries are accidents, this is what I found. As I usually drink white tea (which in the end leaves my thermos as dirty as it can be), once I tried Coldrex and hot water. I filled the thermos and an hour later it was perfectly shiny.

NB: messes up a tea though, so if it's your last pack and you have a nasty cold... (02/26/2009)

By Grass