Getting Rid of Used Cooking Oil

What can I use beside a metal coffee can, to discard leftover frying oil?

By rrk158 from NY

After it cools, I just put it down the garbage disposal. Works great.

I would never put oil down my drain pipes. When it hits those cold pipes, it sticks and can cause major drainage problems.

Most restaurants have an outside container for collecting cooking oil and it is picked up and recycled. If you are getting rid of a lot, check with a local restaurant to see if they can take it.

When I fry chicken etc. I use paper towels to soak up the grease and then I put the greasy towels in a plastic bag and tie it up and put it in the garbage. I save my paper towels from washing windows etc and use them for soaking up grease for disposal. Don't throw away all those not so dirty paper towels. Let them dry out and store them in a plastic bag to use later for soaking up grease. Works great for me

I never pour cool cooking oil down my garbage disposal.

I save all plastic mayonnaise/salad dressing, peanut jars with a screw lid, pour in the oil and throw away in the garbage.

I always save the same bottle I emptied the oil from, I just save it under the sink, when the oil is old I pour the oil back into it. I also pour a little on the dogs food sometimes.

http://littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/ ... e-saying-to-yourself-ivory-i.html-or search for"making soap from kitchen grease", lot of info there, good luck.

How about a hole in your yard? or a local restaurant that donates its oil for bio diesel? phil

I always strain mine and reuse it! Just depends on what I've cooked in it. I've been doing this for years. I try to use as little as possible so I don't have a lot of used oil on hand. But when deep frying anything, it takes a lot of oil. I just strain it and I always keep an empty oil bottle and with a funnel, pour the oil back into the bottle.

Of course you know you should let the oil cool off before pouring into any plastic container..but most of us have an abundance of plastics that can be used for old oil or (other garbage,),such as water or soda or juice bottles (use a funnel) or the mayo, peanut butter, salsa jars etc, just keep a few on hand.

As for using a funnel. I cut the top 1/3 or 1/2 off the 12 oz. size plastic bottles like those for soda (use a sharp kitchen knife) and make a handy funnel but of course it won't work unless the container you are filling has a large enough "mouth" and it is a good idea to go slow and steady things with one of your hands. Don't forget, I'm talking about oil that has cooled down enough.

P l e a s e never, never put grease down a disposal unless you like spending $100 plus every year for a new one. If you're on a septic system the same is true - save any empty container (with a lid), fill it and put it in your household trash for pick up OR follow any of the other suggestions given. I personally use any empty pasta sauce bottle since I haven't found any restaurants willing to take mine.

Putting oil and grease down your drain will not only cause problems in your own pipes, but will for the sewers as well. This isn't a great "green" solution, but we take four plastic grocery bags and put them inside each other to make it not only stronger, but in case there is pinhole in one it will keep oil in bag as the next one will catch it. I usually have a few paper towels laying around (from cutting bread, making sandwiches, etc) and lay those in the bottom of the bag. My husband pours the oil in while I hold the bag open.

If you don't have anyone to do that for you then set the bags down in a big pan with tops of bags over the edge of it. We do this with our deep fryer oil since we don't fry a lot with excess oil that can't be scraped out with a spatula into the trash can. We then tie the top tightly and take it straight out to the trash can so no chance of it leaking out into the indoor trash bag making a mess in the house. We reuse our coffee cans (they are plastic) for other things like storage for other kitchen items, organizing in tool shed, taking something to a friend, etc so we don't use them to put old oil/grease in them.

I put it in a glass jar with a screw on lid or an empty oil bottle. Reusing oil is not always a good idea. After a while it breaks down and can contain carcinogens.

I order a product online called The Grease Disposal. The product not only works for used cooking oil but for motor oil and other liquids.

www.thegreasedisposal.com

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceJune 29, 2009
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
🎉
🎄