Home DecorCrafts

Making Paper Lampshades

I need to make a lamp shade and would like to make one out of paper. I have read where rice paper is appropriate, but would rather not use that particular type. Can any type of paper be used to make a shade? Does it need to be thick? Any additional safety tips and information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

By Mom from MO

I remember a lamp shade for a floor lamp my grandmother had made of rolled pages from magazines that were stitched to a lamp shade frame. They lived through the Depression and didn't have much, but the colors made an attractive shade that was quite dense. All the pages were rolled the same size and stitched at top and bottom, and were similar in colors. I would be careful of fire from heat of the bulbs, but modern bulbs do not generate much heat. Also pin holes would add to the attractiveness.