Cleaning a Lampshade

3
Share
Save
Follow
Print

picture of a dusty lampshadeI have used Kaboom foaming bathroom cleaner on my fabric lampshades with outstanding results. I took the lampshades into the bathroom over the tub and sprayed them down good. I lightly rubbed the foam in with my hand and waited about 10 minutes for it to work. I rinsed very well and then took them out in the hot Florida sun to dry.

They all turned out bright and clean with no streaks. I am amazed how well this worked. I even used this on my lampshade with beads on the bottom, with great results. To think I was going to throw the shade out and replace it. Now it looks brand new.

By Carmen Dunning C. from Daytona Beach, FL

10 More Solutions

Lampshades can build up grime, dust, and pet hair over time. Cleaning them can be difficult, but it is worth trying before your replace them. Here are some tips for cleaning lampshades:

I have off-white colored lamp shades that get very dusty and coated in cat hair. Without rubbing in the dust and discoloring the shades, how can I get them clean and dust-free?

Nicole W. from Kentucky

Answers

By Lee-Ann (Guest Post)

Vacuum them with the attachment on your vacuum cleaner.

By NHdoubleK (Guest Post)

I use a clean small paint brush or basting brush to dust my pleated shades. Works like a charm!

By CONNIE (Guest Post)

TRY USING A BLOWDRYER ON MED. SETTING IF YOU DON'T HAVE A BRUSH ATTACHMENT TO YOUR VACUUM.

By Anita (Guest Post)

Bounce-type fabric sheets work well for this.

By Carolyn (Guest Post)

try a Swiffer Duster, I use them on my pleated white lamp shades and they are fantastic !!

By Lisa (Guest Post)

If the shades aren't pleated, this is a great trick -
I bought a 4 pk of Lint Rollers that have tear off sheets, at Sam's Club. I keep one upstairs and one downstairs. You can;t believe the amount of "stuff" they pick up off of the lamp shades!

Answer this Question

How do I safely clean large antique lamp shades without damaging them?

stained lamp shade

Answers

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 107 Posts

I would do a spot test with hydrogen peroxide, which can get rid of stains and dirt and make things whiter again. I have used it in many surfaces - it makes everhything cleaner and does not often ruin things. But you should really do a spot test first.

rubbing corn starch on it can do the trick as well, as can baking soda.

Answer this Question

I have 2 antique raw hide lamp shades, they are yellowing with age and have a few marks on them. How should I safely clean raw hide?

By Gwen Myrick from Conroe, TX

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 846 Posts

Well. the rawhide is simply going to yellow with age just like a newspaper and many other items :-( Being rawhide you'll have to be careful how long you clean with a moist cleanser but you could try a small test spot with hydrogen peroxide to try to remove the yellowing. Would need to know what the 'marks' you're talking about are before giving advice on them.

Answer this Question

If you don't want to replace a worn or soiled lamp shade, try one of the ideas found below for refurbishing a lampshade.

Looking up at the underside of a lampshade.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

A lint roller is an excellent tool for cleaning dust and lint from your fabric lampshades. This is a page about using a lint roller for cleaning lamp shades.

Cleaning Lamp Shades

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

How do I clean a lamp shade?

I need ways to clean fabric covered lampshades that are discolored due to smoking (without quitting, which I'm trying to do). I do dust them every week.

I would like to clean my lamp shades. They are fabric and were exposed to a smoking room for a good while.

Tips for cleaning lampshades. Post your ideas.

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJuly 8, 2011
🎆
👔
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf197959.tip.html