An Introduction to Seed Saving

Saving seeds from plants is a great way to save money in your garden. Feel free to post your tips about saving seeds below.

I have a great morning glory vine? should I clear it away now that it is gone? Can I harvest the seeds/pods?

These are in a side garden where I have begun composting, and plan to have more vegetables this summer.

Thanks! Laura

Morning glory seeds come from the flowers when they die off. Also the actual plant itself (in the UK) just dies. You get a seed head which you can take off towards the end of the season and then leave them to dry over the winter. When they form, the seeds are white and wet (I know this as I opened one up to see what it was like!); when dry they are brown and handlable. You should get 3 or 4 seeds from each head. I saved mine for the first time in September 04 and am waiting to plant them to see what results I get. Hope this is helpful.""

I am wondering why everyone says to clean seeds and let dry? cant I just plant them as is?

saving seeds
Tips for Saving Seeds
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsJune 1, 2004
Students in a Kindergarten Classroom
Teaching Kindergarten Students
sunflower with seeds in foreground
Using a Seed Exchange
growing snap dragons from seed
Growing Flowers from Seed
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed