Saving Money on Seeds

Category Seeds
A woman buying seeds
End of the season and discount stores seed packs, as well as, seed exchanges can reduce the cost of planting your flower and vegetable gardens. This guide is about saving money on seeds.

Every year store bought veggie seeds get more and more expensive. They make it sound like the seeds will be dead by next year. This is a fib to get us to buy more seeds! Yes plant seeds can die if they are years old or are stored improperly. The chances of having a few dead seeds in a packet goes up with each year. So far I have had over 98% of the seeds sprout even after they were bought three years ago!

Just be sure to store them in a dry dark place and to reseal any partially used packets. To save money I shop for garden seeds in late summer to fall when the seeds go on sale for over 50-75% off. I use them the next spring which is only a few short months away. This saves a ton of money on store bought seeds!

I was so happy to read about the seed swapping. My home town also had a seed swap a couple of weeks back. We were able to attend and WOW, did we get the seeds we were looking for and then some. We were able to get all the seeds we needed for this year's garden. We also got seeds and bulbs for flowers, herbs. There was a group there that had native plants for our area. We also learned about the evasive weeds and how to control them. This was such a wonderful time and meeting all the people in our local area. I had gotten so many seeds I will be sharing with my sister and we should have a pretty good garden this year at no cost of buying seeds. I will be attending next year for sure. So thankful!

To acquire new and unusual plants, most city run parks will give you seeds if you ask. Just tell the gardeners (when you visit the park) what seeds you want. They will tell you when they will be collecting the seeds. Take some tiny zip lock bags with you to put the seeds in and masking tape to label the bags. Remember to get directions from the city parks and garden staff for best time to plant, where to plant (sun, shade, etc.) Water and enjoy when they bloom.

To save money, I'm thinking of buying the seed packets for flowers that I see in dollar stores. They have one that is supposed to have a mix of different flower seeds in them. Has anyone ever tried using these dollar store seeds? Are they worth it?

By Jennifer from Tonawanda, NY

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I haven't purchased the flower seed packets, but bought lettuce packets at the dollar store last year. All last summer we feasted on leaf lettuce.

Save yourself some money and purchase seeds from the dollar stores. You are not only helping yourself out, but you are keeping the dollar stores in business.

I think they are 20 cents at Walmart and grow just fine here in zone 4/5.

My mom bought a bunch of seed packets a few years ago, and I think she had good germination. I purchased a few packets a couple weeks ago, and will sow them soon. I'm hopeful they'll germinate and we'll enjoy the flowers this summer! I must say that I made sure to look for the date on the package (it'll say what year/season the seeds were packed for).

I purchased four packets of these seeds, and one out of four germinated, not sure why. I will buy the zinnias there, as they always do well. I am planting mostly Zinnias this year, they are really hard to mess up. The sunflowers usually don't germinate in my area which is northeast Tennessee.

Robyn

Yes, I've purchased their seeds year after year and they've always worked for me, but you want to be sure to plant them that year, because like most seeds, they are made to be used that year. If you have seeds leftover from the previous year, don't throw them out, but expect to get less yield.

But, so what if they don't grow! You get ten packs for one dollar, so it's definitely worth the risk! You can always sprout them in a folded paper towel in a dark cupboard to see which ones germinate. After you see which ones sprout, they can even be planted inside the paper towel so you won't damage the roots.

I have and they all grew well. ;-)

Yes, they were great! I think they have the same brand at Walmart as they use at the dollar stores. I planted a few types of flowers in my great grandmother's garden and we got the seeds and soil from the dollar stores. Good luck and happy gardening!

Yes. I even bought seeds from the dollar aisle in Target, and boy do they grow! For a one dollar seed starter kit, I have several tomato plants started. As for the Dollar Store, mine carries the same seed rack as other stores. Go for it!

I have purchased flower seeds from the Dollar Store and have had real good luck with them.

I do it every year, and the results are great. Their veggie seeds are good too.

Yes, I use them every year. The flowers arrange in size and height. They are so bright and smell wonderful, brings the birds also. I mix them with my roses and such an array of colors. The veggie pkgs are great also and keep on growing

For 20 cents a pkg gives a season of great tasting food and good exercise.

I purchased 4 pks of flower seeds last year and my garden had never been so beautiful. Neighbors came by to look at the variety of flowers and of course, the butterflies made their presence.

Jennifer

Although the Dollar Store is not the only place I buy seed, I have bought seed there for years. All the vegetable seed did well except for Bell Peppers. I've had fair luck with their flower seed. I bought Cosmos seed four years straight. Not one seed germinated.

A neighbor bought a box of mixed flower seed from the Dollar Store and they did very well.