Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Buy Second Hand Appliances

Pin It

We sold our 3 bedroom home and moved into what is known as a 2 bedroom apartment home. We sold all our appliances with the house because we just didn't want to move them. I spent over $200.00 at the complex laundromat over 11 months. I was getting tired of the washers and dryers breaking down. And I only did my wash once a week.

All the apartments have a space for a washer and dryer. We had to buy an electric dryer because they don't provide the gas connection. And we can't make any modifications to the apartment according to our lease agreement. We purchased a used 3 year old matching Kenmore Washer and dryer for $375.00 + $40.00 delivery charge. The used appliance store gave us a 90 day warranty. You sure can't beat the price of $415.00. Now is that being frugal or what?

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By designgirl17804/21/2014

My dryer just broke down and needed a repair. I called the repair shop and the guy told me "good luck if you plan to buy a new one!" According to him the older appliances last much longer and are easier to repair. Another plug for acquiring used appliances or at least not 'upgrading' to newer ones. Cheap is better than buying the latest and so-called greatest!

By Grandma J [46]02/02/2010

This summer I bought a Maytag 3 yr old pair for $150 at a garage sale of household we knew, mom wanted the NEW style. Afterwards the lady said she liked her old dryer better. My son got this as the house they moved into had a 25 yr old sears set that you could count on NOT too much time left.

2nd son was in need of a dryer, so went to the 2nd hand shops, as we left, a pickup was backed up ready to unload a dryer. Recognizing the guy as the ONE WHO REPAIRS, RENEWS those taken from apts, etc we asked him, He said if we wanted what he was going to unload, we could come get it. The price difference? $75 more to move it into the shop--we paid $125. We had gotten a washer from him 2 years prior the same way. $125 for a refurbished washer, a couple years old. So last week when this washer started acting up again, my husband called him and the repair man said SURE I stand behind my work. So we got another washer refurbished, paid $50 and the guy took the other one back to work on. So for a 2 year use, it was a good rate.

We had gotten an electric kitchen stove, Kenmore, back in 2001 for son # 3 from same guy. They still have the same stove, looked new when gotten. He had a sears 20cf fridge too, they still have that. $150 can still buy alot, when you know the right people.
My own fridge? bought 1986, was 6 mo old. An older lady bought it from the sears store, but was heading for the apts due to health and wanted to sell as much of her household as possible. Put on local radio station trading post, I followed up, the sears people gave me the papers of delivery date. Paid $300 back then for the 20 cf. Still nice and running like new!

By Nan Corpe [6]01/04/2010

I bought a Kenmore Calypso washer a little less than 5 years ago. It needed service about 2 years ago, and it quit recently again. The Sears service guy came and looked at it (for $70) and told me it would cost $500 to fix it. I decided not to get it fixed and went out and bought another washer. I just don't believe they make things to last anymore. When I bought that Kenmore Calypso, it was highly rated and quite expensive. Of course, If I had bought an extended warranty, the $570 service charge would have been covered, but this is getting ourageously expensive to keep an appliance working. I agree that second hand is the best deal if you can find it when you need it.

By Dorina [2]01/04/2010

What a great deal! My Kenmore dryer is still going strong and I think its 20 yo! lol.

Like other posters here, I love utilizing freecycle and have given and received many wonderful things from generous people who care about our environment by not plopping stuff in the garbage to head to a landfill.

I have received lamps, magazines, books, exercise equipment and perfume. I will be looking for my habitat store now too. I also find great items in my thrift store. As my resolution is to lose weight, this is a great way to recycle my sizes as I lose. =) Or you can freeycle it too! =)

By Phyllis [1]01/04/2010

The Kenmore washer and dryer for apartments are the best buys I have ever made. They last 20-25 years. I am on my second set (so guess you know how old I am..ha ha!). The motors are by Whirlpool.

I watch my neighbors in this apt. complex trudge through ice and snow and rain with their laundry to our apt. complex laundromat, which is in one of the buildings out here. I know they spend a fortune on it. I keep telling them to get the Kenmore at Sears or wherever, but they keep on trudging through the crazy weather.

Good job on your excellent choice. You won't regret it. Used to be Sears was the only place I could find them. Glad there are other places that carry them. Phyllis

By Lelia Jo Cordell [49]01/04/2010

We did well at our local Habitat ReStore, too. I'm not sure whether our Roper brand washer-dryer set was new or like-new. I do know they're the best we've ever had! And they only cost us $60 each, $120 plus tax for the set. Hubby paid friends of his a small amount to carry them in for us.

We recommend the Habitat ReStore everywhere we go! Also, St Vincent de Paul's thrift store sold us a used twin-size Craftmatic bed for $75 plus tax and delivery. The only trouble I had with it was, the head lifted crookedly. And as with all thrift stores (and FreeCycle,) you have to move quickly to get the good stuff!

By Mary [3]01/04/2010

That's my kind of thinking and the way we have operated for years. It's the only way to stay ahead of the game. mac-Lewiston, NY

By Suzanne Bergholz [2]01/03/2010

I think that you did quite well. I also want to tell about my freecycle goodies and I absolutely love that group! My Kenmore dryer was a freecycle treasure and it is in perfect shape. I have a great stand mixer, two lovely upolstered chairs and many great additions to our home and we did not spend a penny, except gas to get to the homes. The Habitat Re-Store is another great resource. Our stove was $65.00 and works great. Keep up with your thrifty ways. It is a fun life!

By Teresa Tart [1]05/30/2009

You should also check regular appliance stores also because some stores will mark down an appliance if it gets a dent or scratch on it. I got my first stove like that and got it at a good price. Depending on the size of the dent as to how much they will knock off. The place where my stove went no one could see the dent.

By Charlene [9]05/29/2009

Your set is exactly like mine that I've had for 6 years now-problem free. !! Clever use of $$.

By tahlula [4]05/28/2009

Not to rain on your parade ( I do admire your thrifty spirit!), but you might have been able to get used appliances for free if you had checked to see if there is a freecycle group in your area.

FreeCycle is a web-based organization where people post things to give away or request things they need. You are not allowed to sell anything on the site, it really is just about reducing, re-using, and recycling -- that is keeping stuff out of landfills and trying to keep the earth intact for our children. This is their link:

http://www.freecycle.org/

I see used washer/dryer sets and other major appliances listed for giveaway (i.e., for free) all of the time by people who are upgrading.

I strongly encourage you to see if there is a freecycle group in your area, and if there isn't one, to start one.

By Marty Dick [133]05/28/2009

Good job! Kenmore appliances will last forever(almost).

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Buy Second Hand Appliances

You can save a lot of money by purchasing second hand appliances from used appliance stores. My DH and I purchased a stove, refrigerator, washer and dryer at a fraction of the price of what they would cost brand new.

One day we went appliance shopping and learned that the older model appliances were made better than the new ones coming off the assembly lines. We've been very fortunate because our four appliances have not needed any service repairs.

By Marge W. from Sanborn, NY

Editor's Note: Older appliances may be built better but may also be less energy efficient. Find out the energy rating of any appliance before you buy.

RE: Buy Second Hand Appliances

Last spring when I was shopping for a new washer and dryer, I stopped at a shop owned by a man who had sold me my refrigerator years earlier. His parents owned an appliance store and he sold all his life. I figured that my refrigerator would go out soon, so I might as well look at those too. After telling him the model I had bought off of him years earlier, He told me that the most foolish thing I could do was replace it at this time. He said that it was built to last at least 24-30 years, and a comparable one would cost so much that the money saved on utilities wouldn't come close to the money spent on a new purchase. He went on to explain that if he was me, he'd keep using the one I had for another 10 years and reconsider at that time. While the new ones looked nice, they weren't made nearly as well. The model I had was extremely energy efficient, and even though I might save utility money on a newer model, they are now built to last a specific number of years, which: 1)does not always make them cost effective, 2)adds to landfills, and 3)uses more resources during the construction process. Even though he talked himself out of a sale, I appreciated his honesty, and it gave me some info to think about.

He also talked me out of the top of the line washer that I'd been looking at. His wife told me that they were considering it too, and gave me the reasons they decided against it. Apparently, the second in line was just as energy efficient and cost lots less. So much less, that It would have to last me 25-30 years to make up the difference in cost. The top of the line had some added features, but they were ones I doubted that I'd ever use.

He also gave me lots of valuable information about the different makes and models, people I knew who had them so I could call and get opinions, and let me go home and make up my mind on what I wanted, no pressure. His info gave my decisive questions to ask sales people while shopping at other places too. After I made up my mind on what I wanted and got the best price, I went back to him and he beat the best offer made elsewhere to get my business. I almost didn't go to his store, since I didn't believe he could beat larger chain's prices. He explained that several small stores now buy together to get the same or better prices as the larger chains--that's how they stay in business and stay competitive. I almost lost big time by not stopping there! (09/22/2007)

By susanmajp

RE: Buy Second Hand Appliances

I applaud you for your thriftiness. You've done a good thing and recycled a major appliance. You've saved a large appliance from ending up in a landfill.

We always bought used washing machines when our children were little. I had good experiences with doing that. It is a good savings over renting appliances like people do in our area of the country. Also, I think it's better than going to the laundromat!

Right now I have appliances that I bought new. I've replaced everything except for my stove. Because I bought the cheapest Lowes sold, they don't have all the bells and whistles my used appliances had, but I think they are more saving on energy. I must tell you my daughter bought a top of the line washing machine from Sears, who is known for their good appliances. She uses hers a little more than I use mine, but she is having trouble with her machine. She got the extended warranty (which I've been told one never should do), and it's good because she has needed it.

I wanted to let you know I think you did the right thing for yourself. I saw the editors note and worried you may be discouraged about that. I understand. You did the right thing for your circumstances. Don't feel badly about it in any way. (smile)

Best of luck! (09/23/2007)

By Carol in PA

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.