FurnitureCleaning

Marshmallow Stain on Microfiber

I've read all through and got a lot of good tips. But my heart is hurting because I don't see a fix for marshmallow on microfiber. It has turned black and there are 3 spots! I tried everything. I thought it was gum which from what I read is just as bad. If I use an ice cube and it doesn't work then I still have to ruin my couch with peanut butter by getting the oil stain.

Does anyone have any other fix for this?

Lisa from Trenton, NJ

The marshmallow is water-soluble, and the dark spots are probably mildew feeding on, or regular old (household) dirt that has stuck to the sugar.

I don't know much about microfiber; can you use a water based cleaner on it? Is the stain on a cushion, or the "body" of the piece.

I would try using a mild, diluted water based cleaner and a soft bristled brush (maybe an old toothbrush) and gently scrub the spots. Then rinse repeatedly with water.

FIRST, though, you will need to see if you're going to leave water marks. On an inconspicuous area (like the back, or the wrong side of a cushion, if they're not reversible), test the entire process, and let it dry thoroughly. Can you see the edges of the spot you've treated? If the answer is yes, I would consult a professional. It might cost a little bit; but certainly less than a new piece of furniture!

there is nothing in a marshmallow that cannot be disolved with water. all they are is sugar, gelatin and flavoring.

if the furniture was bought new, call the place you bought it and ask them what to use. i'm sure they get stuff on furniture in the showroom they have to clean off.

Thanks for writing back. I just contacted the manufacturer of the protector we purchased for the furniture. THey are sending us something to remove it and if it does not work, they will send someone to remove it for us.

Yeah! I'm so happy.

I was just searching for an idea on removing MARSHMALLOW stains from a rain jacket. I found it impossible and i tried everything I could think of from vinegar to gasoline.

I understand that marshmallows are water soluble -- does heat make a difference? My son was making smores at a camp fire and got the hot marshmallow gock all over his jacket.

Any suggestions?