How Do I Can Tomatoes?

We have a lot of tomato fields around us. So I decided to stop and ask one of the farmers if he would mind me picking up what they had left behind. I can't believe how many there were. I have never done any canning so I was wondering if someone could tell me what to do with all of them.They are Roma tomatoes. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. ( I would love to learn to do canning.)

By Cindy

Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Turn off, remove from heat. Place tomatoes in the water and cover, (the safest and easiet way to do this is put the tomatoes in a colander and gently lower and dump them in). Let it completely cool. Then, remove them from the water and slip the skins off. They come off easy, mash the pulpy insides with a potatoe masher. put this in containers or freezer bags and freeze. You can use it for soups, sauces, homemade salsa etc. I have been doing this for years.

tami333 Thank you so much! I am going to get started right this minute. Thanks Again!

You can also just throw whole tomatoes in the freezer, then when you want to make a pot of stew, just toss the frozen tomato in the pot & let it cook in the stew,then fish it out with a ladle,'smoosh' it & toss it back in.

Food and Recipes CanningSeptember 10, 2010
Peeling Tomatoes
Peeling Tomatoes
Canned Tomatoes on White Background
Canning Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes