Cleaning Computer Vents

My computer's case has tiny vents that clog up with dust (in addition to the larger obvious vents). They are quite difficult to clean due to the fact that the vents are surrounded by deep fins.

I came up with a solution that, while not perfect, is helpful. I take a piece of masking tape, drape it (sticky side out) over the short end of a ruler, and wipe the grating in a back and forth and up and down motion. Replace the tape and wipe again.

You'd be surprised at how much dust comes up monthly. I have been informed that this is not a reflection on my housekeeping!

By cookwie from Big D, TX

True, it is not a reflection on your house cleaning. As a computer technician I spent many a day cleaning machines. If you are not savy enough to take a PC apart your method is very viable, I commend you.

You can also utilize a can of compressed air to blow dust out, especially the area of the floppy and CD drive.

Warning to others - never use a vacuum cleaner or an air copressor to clean your PC. Both machines creates static electricity that can fry your PC. The exception would be if you take your PC apart and utilize a static strap to ground out the PC after cleaning it.

Note: you can cut down on the amount of dust in your PC if you do not have it sitting on the floor under your desk or table. Even just putting it up on a foot stool 4 or 5 inches off the floor will help.

All of this is excellent advice, and I always wondered what that wide, strappy-looking thingie was. Do I sound like a total airhead? lol!