Removing Paper Stuck to Wood

Category Furniture
Stickers or wet paper can stick to wooden things when they dry. It can be challenge to remove without damaging the wood. This is a guide about removing paper stuck to wood.

If you ever get a piece of plastic or paper that is 'stuck' to your countertop or dresser, just add a drop or two of baby oil to the spot and it should lift right off.

By Robin

This really didn't work that well.

If someone mistakingly uses a paper towel or newspaper for a coaster you may find youself with paper stuck to your furniture. Peel away as much of the paper as you can, then apply some olive oil to a clean rag. Apply the olive oil to the paper and the paper should remove easily.

Thanks so much for this tip. Somebody got a magazine wet that was lying on the top of a white chest in my Mother's nursing home room and left part of the page stuck to the wood. I'll sure try this to get it off.

I used paper plates with hot food on my dining room wood table. The plates stuck to the table and left rings that would not wash off. How can I clean this table and remove these rings?

This is a white heat stain. You can remove it by rubbing mayonnaise on the stain, waiting an hour, and wiping it off.

Rub in a paste of salt and olive oil, allow to sit for up to an hour. Wipe off.

Most suggestions from restore books recommend the mayonnaise method but sometimes it will not work do to the type of wood or finish of the table. Also, everything may not work the same on lighter woods.

Here are some suggestions from my daughter's stash of "help" folders:

Mix 50/50 toothpaste and baking soda, rub in. Do not use gel toothpaste for this.

Rub in mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip) and wipe off after an hour.

Mix 50/50 vinegar and olive oil and rub into the watermark.

Try straight toothpaste (non-gel). Rub in with the grain then wipe off.

Make a paste with baking soda and a few drops of water. Rub in then wipe off. You can also try salt instead of baking soda.

Rub some Vaseline (or other petroleum jelly) into the watermark and leave overnight. Wipe off in the morning.

How do I remove dried newspaper that is stuck on my dark wood dining table without ruining the finish? Thanks I am desperate.

By Aehtna from Los Angeles, CA

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Try spreading on a thin layer of vegetable or olive oil, letting it set for a few, then rub off with an old soft kitchen towel, and wipe clean.

Try using Vaseline on it, let it set for a little while.

How do I get a piece of wet cardboard that dried on a wood table off without ruining the table?

By Lynda from Kearny, NJ

Best Answer

Hello,

My husband refinished antique furniture. He said to apply some mayonnaise to it and let it sit for awhile and then it should come right off.

A wet magazine was left on finished table top inadvertently leaving some black words and some red from the magazine. How can I remove the print without ruining the finish?

By E.C.B.

Try using some "Awesome" cleaner from dollar tree. I would try it diluted first and then work up to full strength. It is really wonderful! It is a yellow liquid in an odd-shaped bottle.