Browsing: Organizing Electrical Cords

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Organizing Electrical Cords

Cords for small appliances, chargers for batteries or electronics, media and computer cords can become tangled and easily misplaced. This is a guide about organizing electrical cords.

Storing appliance cords in toilet paper tubes to keep from tangling.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 18, 2016 Flag

Editor's Note: After Lilac expressed concern about this tip, we did some research and asked an electrician for their opinion. Basically, this process should be only attempted with cords that carry a low voltage, like USB charging cables. Even then, there is some risk of heat build up, damage to the cord or the device being charged. It should definitely not be done to larger, thicker cords that carry more current. Even loops of extension cord have been known to cause fires. We advise against using this tip for anything but a decorative or craft purpose. It is safer and better for the life of your expensive electronics to leave charging cords in their original condition.Coil Cords to Reduce Tangles

I hated my drawer of various phone, camera, and other power cords and remembered a trick I heard of. Wrap your cord around a straw or pencil and tape it on both ends, then use a hair dryer to heat the cord up for about 4 minutes. I kept putting my hand under the air to make sure it wasn't getting hot enough to melt anything. Let the cord cool completely and remove the tape from both ends. Wa-la! A coiled, much neater power cord!

Coil Cords to Reduce TanglesCoil Cords to Reduce TanglesCoil Cords to Reduce Tangles

June 11, 2010 Flag

Do you have cords to plug into an outlet and are always trying to plug it in upside down, because of one prong being wider than the other? In the correct position, put a dab of white out (liquid or tape) on a dark-colored plug or draw a black spot with a permanent marker on a light-colored or white plug. I always do a tiny heart. Sure has made my life easier - sometimes it's the little things!

By Vicky from Central KY

March 22, 2016 Flag

Have you got a box full of tangled leads or electronics cords? Some, or most of them will fit inside a toilet paper roll middle so you can keep them neat and tidy. If you want to be extra organised, don't forget to label them. It is surprising how quickly and easily you can forget which is for what.

labeled tube for cord/lead

March 9, 2012 Flag

I have a lot of cords laying around ,so I decided to roll them up and put them into some old cassette cases we had around. It makes them easier to store and find. Great for earphones, phone cords etc. It also keeps them from tangling.

Cords in Cassette Case

May 23, 2011 Flag

I have a lot of things that use the adapters with the little black box on the cord that plugs in to the electrical outlet in order to use. Each one seems a different size.

January 6, 2011 Flag

A friend recently gave my son a hand held game, but we needed to buy a charger for it. The charger recommended at local store is one that has five different adapter options. Once I found the right one for his game, I painted the plastic part of the plug with a small amount of pink nail polish so we can easily find and plug it in.

By Stacey B from Topeka, KS

Nail Polish to Identify Charger Adapter

September 14, 2009 Flag

I bought a 50 cent tin to match the decor of the room and cut a square hole in the back. We pushed all the phone cord and extra computer line through, hooked it all up, put the lid on the tin and now all the mess is "contained".

November 22, 2011 Flag

I found a great tip to keep computer cords or any cords organized. Hook a bread tag to each cord and label what cord it is. This will keep you out of a tangled mess of all those computer cords we have!

September 15, 2008 Flag

I have various electrical appliances with detachable electrical cords. I didn't really like storing the cords inside the appliances because of scratching and didn't like them lying around in my cupboards or drawers.

August 16, 2011 Flag

Take empty toilet tissue or paper towel cardboards and use them to store extension cords, Christmas string lights, or any cords in them. They work great.

October 17, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have a nice way to hide all the electric cords behind the TV?

Thank you.

By Daniel from Ontario

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The best method is looping then into a loose 'figure 8' which you can them zip tie into a bundle. DON'T make them into coils as that has the chance of generating a magnetic field. I had a problem with my vcr that would get wavy lines in anything I recorded but worked perfectly at the repair shop. The guy asked how I had the excess wire arranged and when I told him I had 'looped' them in a circle, he told me to 'figure 8' them . I did and the problem disappeared!

Read More Answers...

January 23, 2008 Flag

I have 5 chargers for my electronics. I keep from getting them mixed up and tangled up by sticking them in their very own ziplock. The quart size is perfect. I put on the front in marker what device the charger is for and they get stored nice and neat in my desk.

August 22, 2007 Flag

Wrap up excess electrical cord and use a hair band (thread covered rubber band) to keep in place. It keeps it neat and out of the way.

November 9, 2004 Flag

If you have several small appliances sharing an outlet in the kitchen like I do, just use a permanent marker to label which cord prong goes to what for example: can opener, blender, toaster etc. then no more guessing which one to plug in.

February 11, 2011 Flag

Tired of your electrical cords getting tangled, like your curling iron hairdryer or other bathroom apparatus with a cord? Save the cardboard holders from the toilet paper tube and insert cord into empty cardboard tube place on shelf or wherever. No more tangles of cords!

November 27, 2012 Flag

My pet peeve is the cords hanging behind my TV or an open table. Recently we had some problems with a bad cord and had problems making them all neat and out of the way.

Load More
Organizing OfficeJanuary 17, 2012
pile of electronics cords and cables
Recycling Electronic Cords and Cables
An electrical cord plugged into an outlet.
Keeping Pets from Chewing on Electrical Cords
Finding Replacement Cords for Electronics
TV with hidden cords.
Hiding Electric Cords
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 11:59:24 PM on 10.0.1.174 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.