Freezing Unblanched Vegetables

I am freezing zucchini and one of the methods is to freeze it unblanched. Is this method safe? What about the enzymes that blanching kills? I would hate to have problems with the zucchini once it is thawed but like the idea that it would not be as mushy as it gets when it is blanched. Please help, as we have a garden full of zucchini.

By Mira

Best Answer

I wash my zucchini well and drain. Then grate it peeling and all for making my zucchini cakes in the winter. I've never had any bacterial problems arise after immediately thawing it for use.

I also do not blanch bell peppers but clean well and stuff with rice, tomatoes, ground beef and onion and place in freezer bags. When ready to use, I put them in a pan with water covering the lower bottom a little and use a lid and cook til done. Again never had any bacteria problems arise preparing some vegetables in this manner.

No, you do not need to blanch any kind of squash (zucchini). You are lucky to have good luck growing squash, good luck.

I always freeze it right after it's grated. I freeze in 1/2 cup baggies and add it to everything from tacos to breads. If I had to blanch it it would probably rot! Same with the yellow summer squash.

I have done it and used the thawed shredded zucchini in my bread. Also, mixed bread crumbs,spices, egg, shredded carrot & made patties out of them & fried them from the frozen shredded zuke. (of course, I thawed first, squeezed extra water from it first.) I have not had a problem at all & is a lot easier to do. Shred, pack in zip loc baggies in 2 C amounts.

It is safe to freeze zuchinni. You can slice it and freeze it for stir frys, or shred it for baking. You can also saute it a little with butter and freeze it like that as well. This website has a great article on how to freeze zuchinni. Just type "Freezing Zuchinni" in the answer box and you will get some answers.