Nail Polish Remover to Remove Ticks

I live in a woodsy area so when I'm working in the yard with plants or mowing and cleaning up, I do pick up a tick every so often. Most of the time people just pull them off and this results in a sore.

If you will soak a piece of cotton in finger nail polish remover and hold it on the tick for 2 or 3 minutes, it should let loose and you can just pick it off. If it doesn't let go, reapply the cotton for another 2 or 3 minutes. This suffocates the tick and when it dies it lets go. If you just pull it loose, the head comes off and remains under the skin causing itching and a sore. This was a common practice when I was a kid and we went blackberry picking in the woods.

Source: My mother used this remedy when I was a kid.

By Clynnaltemus from Inglis, FL

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

This is not a safe way to remove ticks. It had long been a practice to use things such as alcohol or a lit match to get a tick loose. However, when a chemical is used it causes the tick to become sick and regurgitate the contents of its stomach into the host (you) which then exposes the host (you) to a greater risk of tick disease such as Lymes or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. A better way to remove the tick is to grab the tick with a pair of tweezers as close to the skin/tick's head as possible and pull him out. Don't worry if the head doesn't come too. An old wife's tail is that it will make a sore or burrow into the skin but in fact, it will work its way to the top much like how a splinter normally works its way to the surface. Clean the site and apply triple antibiotic ointment often until all healed.

Was just wondering if the nail polish remover has to have the acetone in or can you use the acetone free remover.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Tick Removal
Removing a Tick
Health & Beauty Home RemediesJune 22, 2010
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
Nail Polish Remover Stain on Leather
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Stains on Leather
A wood table.
Fixing a Wood Table With a Nail Polish Remover Stain
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 5:18:31 AM on 10.0.0.68 in 622 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.